•chapter 6•

"There's a silence in my soul that will never speak again

"There's a silence in my soul that will never speak again."

New Allies and Beautiful Cities

~

The breakfast was filled with casual chit chat, mostly from Mor and Feyre. They didn't ask me questions on what had happened, didn't mention my father or how I'd wound up in their home.

I stared at Feyre throughout the whole breakfast, taking her in. She was soft, kind and had shown me nothing but warm smiles and reassuring glances. She wasn't the female my father had painted her to be at all, in fact, she was the complete opposite.

A small bit of hate started to grow in my heart for my father, but I pushed it away. I wouldn't hate him, despite what he'd done or said, I wouldn't.

"What are your powers?" Amren asked, silencing the two other speaking females and causing me to blink at the short haired female.

"I-" I licked my lips, unable to properly explain and form the right words. "Like flowers and stuff."

Amren's eyes narrowed and inclined her head, a silent order to show her what I was talking about. I had the wits to obey, looking at the bouquet of roses in a vase in the centre of the table.

My finger twitched and the roses turned towards me, growing in length and width as they slid closer towards me from their vase. Once reaching me, they wrapped themselves around my arm, weaved through my hair and peeked out over my head.

Mor was beaming like a child. "Beautiful."

"You can manipulate nature?" Amren asked and I nodded quickly, moving my hand and allowing the roses to sink back into their vase and return to normal.

"I have this ability," I debated whether telling them, whether it would come and bite me in the ass in the future. But none of them gave me a reason to doubt them, so I spoke. "I hear whispers."

Feyre's eyebrows raised. "You're a seer?"

I shook my head, my wavy hair falling over my shoulders and almost into my tea. "Not quite. The winds, the sigh of the trees as a breeze passes through them; all you will hear is white noise, the noise of a wind. But the trees, the swaying grass, the winds are loyal to me and they tell me things that I need to know whenever they can."

Feyre was blinking, sharing an impressed look with Mor. Amren levelled a stare at me, twirling her fork in her small hand. "So the winds whisper secrets to you?"

I nodded, biting the inside of my cheek in slight nerves as Amren continued to stare.

"I haven't seen someone like you in a long, long while." She muttered and my mouth slackened slightly. There had been more of me? I'd always thought I was the only one, but if my powers have been known before- "You're the only remaining one with this power, there might be documents in The Day Court's libraries if you want to find out more."

I debated the offer. I'd self taught myself how to control my abilities, how to listen closely when a breeze went past, no matter how gentle. I hadn't mastered it, and there's probably far more I can do that I haven't tapped into yet.

The front door swung open and then shut again, two pairs of feet heavily walking towards the dining room. I watched as Kaleb entered, Rhysand on his heel as they both gave me a greeting nod and slid into empty chairs.

"How's girl talk going?" Rhysand cooed, staring at his mate with a love so deep it sent an ache ripple through my heart.

But before Feyre could reply, a scent slithered it's way up my nostrils and I whipped my head towards The High Lord who lounged against his chair. Noticing my look, he turned to face me with an unreadable expression.

"You've been to My Court." My voice was calm, careful. I could scent the flowers on him, the fresh leaves and trees twining with his scent temporarily.

"I payed your father a visit." Rhysand replied, his voice laced in agitation that wasn't directed at me.

At the mention of my father I tensed. "Why?"

"To give him a good earned smack for treating his only child so terribly." Rhysand responded, my teeth gritting.

My nostrils flared and my eyes twitched as a silent anger bubbled in my heart. Despite what my father said, he didn't deserve for Rhysand to go and torment him.

"Something to say?" Kaleb asked, his eyes dancing with mischief.

"He doesn't deserve to be confronted." I muttered, Rhysand's eyes flashing in shock yet they hardened a second later.

"He deserves every ounce of confrontation for telling his daughter that he doesn't love her." A low rumble was emitted after his statement and I breathed heavily through my nose.

I stood up, the unwelcome memories of last night flooding in. "Excuse me."

I exited the room quickly, ignoring everyones eyes that followed me. I dodged Cassian, who was walking in through the front door and looking at me with an expression like he was about to speak to me.

I slipped through the front door, leaning on a fence to catch my breath. Why did these people care? Why would they care when my own father didn't. I couldn't work out what I did wrong, what I did so terribly for my own father not to love me.

I then took notice of where I was and I lost my breath again. I was in some sort of city, beautiful and bright and swarming with life. All different types of Fae wandered the streets, happy Fae.

"Beautiful isn't it?" A voice drawled and I spun, spotting Kaleb exiting his front door. I blinked at him, saying nothing as I turned back to face the extraordinary city.

It was nothing like The Spring Court, it was somehow more vibrant. Something about this place eased a part of my soul, settled me and comforted me despite the current ongoing situation with my father.

"Welcome to Velaris, The City of Dreams." Kaleb narrated and my mouth fell agape. The name fit so well, and this place was so beautifully untouched it almost made me shed a tear.

I felt Kaleb loop his arm through mine loosely and guide me down the path from his house, "let's take you on a tour."