•flashback•

~ I am my father's daughter, with blood on my hands and battle in my heart, I am not afraid ~

"It's just us now, daddy."

"Its just us."

Spring

~

"Acacia! Mom has made you lunch!" Alakai frowned, trying to navigate his two year old sister whom had recently learnt how to glamour herself and suddenly hide and seek was her favourite game. Even if nobody wanted to play. "Ace, if you don't come out on the count of 5 I'm going to eat all of your lunch and then your yoghurt!"

Loud, heartbroken squealing ensued from his bedroom and he smiled crookedly, pushing his hair back with slender fingers as he made his way up the stairs quietly.

He felt at ease whilst his father was away with Lucien, whom still didn't know about him, his little sister or his mother. Not that he wasn't trusted, but he was mated with their greatest enemy's older sister, so he was a risk, one that Alakai would exterminate if it meant the safety of Acacia.

Opening the door to his bedroom, he was immediately attacked by a small figure who seemed indignant. "My yoghurt! Mine!"

Alakai raised an eyebrow at the younger female, who was glaring up at him with fierce eyes that reminded him too much of their father. With an exaggerated sigh, he bent down to eye level with her and gave her a pointed look.

"Come and eat lunch, and I won't eat your yoghurt? Yes?" He asked patiently, trying to prevent the corners of his lips from tugging upwards as she pouted her lips defiantly.

"Fine!" She yelled, lifting her chubby arms towards him in silent demand to be carried.

He smiled widely as he stared down at the bundle of cuteness, whom didn't even know she had her older brother wrapped around her tiny little finger. He swooped her up in one swift movement, already moving to walk back down the stairs as she idly played with his earlobe.

"Why face?" She asked, watching him smile at her, her big eyes wide.

"Why am I making this face?" He asked, and she nodded. "Because, little sister, I love you the most in this world, and even if you don't understand it now, I'll always protect you."

~

"Where KaiKai?" His three year old daughter asked with innocent eyes, looking to him for guidance as he sat beside the bed of her suffering mother, who was asleep and gaunt.

He clenched his jaw, looking away from the naive younger female and to Kaia, who was already beginning to become thin, to become paler by the day with lifeless hair and dull, blue eyes.

He made a decision in that moment, out of anger, out of spite, out of hatred. Looking back over to Acacia, who was holding her mother's hand happily, he flared his nostrils slightly. "Acacia, baby, who's KaiKai?"

She frowned at him for a moment, confused, "Big brother KaiKai!"

His heart pounded painfully inside his rib cage, "honey, you don't have a brother."

Her frown deepened, and she cocked her head to the side slightly, "no! Big brother..." she trailed off at the feigned puzzlement on her father's face, purely trusting him with every ounce of her being. "But- I love big brother KaiKai."

Unable to meet her startled eyes, he looked back down at Kaia, who was suddenly looking back up at him with an expression he couldn't read.

"Don't be silly, Acacia." Tamlin reprimanded, harsh enough that she bulked back and let her mother's hand go.

"Tam." Kaia's hoarse voice scolded gently, eyes saddened by the choice she realised he'd made.

"But-" Acacia seemed to plead, her eyes brimming with tears as her bottom lip wobbled.

"No buts." Tamlin declared, voice firm and eyes hard as he looked up to meet her own upset ones.

"Acacia-" Kaia called out weakly, reaching out with a skinny hand towards her daughter, who cried out in sadness and confusion as she turned and ran out of the room, banging the door shut behind her.

Tamlin bowed his head, "it's for her own good."

Kaia closed her eyes, "no. It's for your own."

~

Head leaning against her hand, she was nearly drifting asleep when a hand suddenly caught at her wrist, bringing her back to harsh reality as her eyes widened on her mother who had been comatose for two weeks now.

"Mom-" Acacia gasped, sitting up in the chair beside her bed as she was prepared to shout for her father, but was instantly stopped as she noticed her mother's bright blue eyes were frantic and wide.

"Acacia, my baby-" she coughed, blood already staining her tongue and lips.

"Wait," Acacia urged, putting a hand on Kaia's arm. "Let me get dad."

"No, no, baby; listen to me, before I-" Coughing again, she sat up slightly and Acacia whimpered. Her mother's face was bone white, crimson blood dribbling down her chin, sunken eye sockets and drawn cheekbones, making her look not like a High Fae.

"Before you what?" The twelve year old whispered, feeling her bottom jaw wobbling in fear and sadness, tears already beginning to form at her eyes.

"He... he loves you, Acacia. He tried everything to protect you. You were his purpose in life. You need to see him again, you need to find him."

I cried, tears shredding down my cheeks painfully. "What do you mean? Who? Dad?"

"No, no, you'll know. Find each other, stay together. Look after each other, Acacia." She pleaded, gripping her daughter's wrist tight enough to bruise. "I love you, my baby. Even in death I'll love you."

Acacia felt her whole body shaking. "Mom- I don't understand- mom- please-"

Kaia's head falling back against the pillow, Acacia watched as her mother's mouth fell agape, eyes wide and lifeless. With a silent and undiluted horror, the twelve year old watched as slowly, her own mother's chest stopped rising and falling.

She screamed.

~

"It's just us now, daddy." Acacia whispered, standing over the custom grave her and her father had made for her deceased mother.

Tamlin sighed, clutching her hand tighter, his own features pale and lifeless like a ghost, "it's just us, Acacia."

A/N: FLASHBACK CHAPTER!!! Just a little flashback on Acacia's life when she was young..

ILY!