Chapter Fifty: Near

Start from the beginning

"Welcome home Princess," he says. I smile, melting into him. Just as I'm ready to go inside, the door flies open and a rush of red and black barrels towards me. Suddenly I'm face to face with Tami, Marissa, and Cassia, the last of which crashes into me like a boulder rolling down a hill. Luckily, Cayton is still behind me to steady me, but ow god my shoulder--

I let out a yelp of pain, which causes Cassia to immediately back away in a panic.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry I didn't think I'm just so happy to see you we've all been so worried we weren't told what was going on and I had to hear it all from Tami and then you, oh my god your eyes it's really true! Of course, I should have known it's true when you mind-linked with me but honestly I was convinced it was a demon or something trying to trick me but I'm so glad you're ok---" She lets all of this out in about three seconds flat, before Marissa simply claps her hand down over her mouth and backs her up.

"Sorry, she's been nothing but anxiety and sugar the past day or so," Marissa says, before releasing her and giving me a much gentler hug. Tami comes up next, holding me as tight as she dares for a while.

"It's ok, I'm just so happy to see you guys!" I exclaim before I notice Tami's shaking shoulders. Oh no, not another one.

It isn't long before she's loudly sobbing in my ear. I pat her back, not saying anything but letting her ride this out. Except it's only exacerbated when Cassia comes in crying, wrapping her arms around the both of us, and dragging Marissa into the fold as well. I try my best to pat her back as well, limited with what I can do between being cocooned in a mass of sobbing people and having an injury.

I look to Cayton, half pleading, half freaking out because I also want to cry but I'm so tired--

"Alright ladies, let's give her some space," Cayton says, beginning to pry arms off of me. Once he frees Cassia and Marissa, Cassia continues sobbing but grabs Marissa instead. Marissa simply rolls her eyes and rubs her hair, a flat "There, there," on repeat.

We eventually move it over to the house, and as I step through the threshold I feel years of anxieties and stresses fall away. I almost knock out right then and there, as if I've been carrying a two-ton weight and I've finally been relieved of my duty.

Tami is the first of the tearful two to stop and wipe her tears away. "Ok, we're going to give you two some time. I'm sure you're both exhausted," she says. I nod, going in for another hug. "We all just wanted to make sure you were ok. Do you need anything?" she asks. I shake my head, going to give Marissa and Cassia a hug again. Cassia wails loudly, holding me tightly. I smile despite the situation.

"It's alright Cassia, we're all in one piece," I say. And then exhaustion really hits me--I feel like I've dealt with enough crying people today to feel like I've just been at the concert of the latest boy band craze. "But no joke, I'm going to pass out in about six seconds and I would rather be in a bed than on the floor if that's ok." She ceases immediately, backing up and putting a serious look on her face.

"Alpha Setters, take this girl to her room immediately!" she demands, not an ounce of joking on her face or in her tone, despite her wet cheeks and red eyes. I half expect Cayton to do what he always does and get defensive--

"Aye aye captain," he instead says, and for a moment I'm proud of him. He immediately scoops me up bridal style and makes a bee-line for the stairs, and I throw a wave to the three before we begin up the steps.

"So does this mean Cassia is Alpha now?" I tease, leaning my head against his chest and taking great joy in the fact that I can hear his heartbeat better than ever before.

He simply rolls his eyes, a smile on his face. We enter our room and he places me down gently on the bed. I sigh in delight, feeling the softness of a cloud under me. "I'm never, ever, ever getting out of this bed again," I declare.