♪ 1 - New Kid ♪

I gritted my teeth and swung my bag onto my shoulder, putting my headphones on and letting the sound of "Badass Woman" by Meghan Trainor echo in my ears as I walked into the school for the first time. It was buzzing with people for the first day of the sophomore year, people seeing their friends for the first time since summer, reuniting and all that jazz.

Not knowing anyone, I used the music to drown out all the chatter and go inside to first-period English. The teacher appeared to be late, so I swapped from my headphones to my cheap earbuds, putting one in and threading it through my sleeve so no one would notice. The song faded out and Imagine Dragons' "On Top of the World" kicked in, just as the teacher walked in.

"We're doing something different this year, I've scrapped the entire syllabus because most people failed the tests last year anyway. This is something new." There was a chorus of cheers as everyone realised they would not have to read the prescribed list of Shakespeare. "Instead we will be doing autobiographies." He wrote three letters on the board, forming the word "YOU". "Or rather, you will be, for the whole of this year."

The cheers turned into groans and the teacher ducked to tie his shoelaces, narrowly missing a pencil that sailed just above his bowed head. He stood upright again, and looked around at the confused, a few downright annoyed faces in his class, remembering that he hadn't introduced himself. "Right. Where are my manners? I'm Mr Johnson, and I'll be your teacher for the year."

An autobiography? For the ENTIRE year? This was going to be great! I noted my own inner sarcasm as I sighed with disappointment and watched an excited Mr Johnson talk about entering the planning and outlining phase.

###

Having lunch alone is hell.

It's even worse than having lunch with people you don't like.

I downed the last of my drink and left, trying to remember which locker was mine. Even with my headphones on, I still had better social awareness than anyone else, dodging the people walking along texting, and flattening myself against the wall when a large crowd of students went past. Head down, don't draw attention, the easiest way to survive.

After a good ten minutes of trying the combination and failing to open it, I cursed and slammed my hand into the locker with all my might, wincing in pain. No one noticed-- the sound had merely blended in with the natural bustle of the corridor. At least that's what I thought.

"You alright?" I turned around to see a girl leaning with one shoulder against the locker on the other side of me.

No, I thought. "Yeah," I replied, not wanting to continue the conversation. The girl opened her mouth to speak again and closed it, just as I tried a final attempt with the locker and failed. She raised her eyebrows wordlessly while she watched me put my back against the wall and sigh in disappointment.

"Should I ask again? Or..."

I gave in, "Is there something I'm missing? I'm being an idiot, aren't I?"

"Would it be offensive for me to say yes? There's a trick to it, don't worry." She walked towards the locker and twisted the dial. It popped open instantly and revealed... that it was not my locker. "The trick is, remember which locker's yours."

Laughing, I wiped my hand across my forehead. "Sorry, that means mine is... this one?" I tried the combination and it popped open, making me go bright red and wish that the locker in question would swallow me whole. "God, I'm such an idiot. Thanks."

"No worries. I'm Lyra, by the way."

"Alex. Alex Becker."

Lyra took the timetable from my back pocket, unfolding it and comparing it to her own. "Decent. You've got Calculus while I have... Chemistry, brilliant! Afterwards, meet me right here and we can look at what clubs are on this year!"

I raised my eyebrows, was she joking? Me? Clubs? "No thanks... I'll meet you, but I'm not interested in joining any clubs this year."

She tutted, shaking her head. "Okay, no. You have to join at least one club. It's like... compulsory if you're new. Or if you're old. Or if you're anyone."

"I'm not getting out of this, am I?"

"Not a chance, A."

Not even the end of the first day, and I already have someone who wants to be friends... yay, I guess? She seems nice, albeit slightly crazy. 

###

Clubs. The centre of social interaction. Want to meet new people? Join a club. Need help with studies? Join a club. Need co-curriculars for your college application? Join a club. Too much free time on your hands? You get the gist... join a fucking club.

I took my headphones off and left them hanging around my neck, a faint tinny echo of "Truth Hurts" by Lizzo coming through them at an almost silent volume as Lyra appeared from around the corner, causing me to jump a little. She grabbed me by the hand instantly, dragging me away from my locker-- which I only just had enough time to knock shut-- towards the sign-up wall.

Because that's what it was, an entire wall of sign up sheets plastered the possibly ten-foot-long noticeboard. "Christ..." I muttered, glancing at the brightest ones and avoiding the glittering flashy lights that accompanied the 'Salsa Club' poster. "That's a lot of clubs." What I didn't say out loud was this place has more clubs than I have active brain cells.

"What are you into? STEM? Art? Oh, of course, Michaela's signed up for debate again this year. I've never heard a person speak faster in my entire life!"

I scanned the posters, trailing my fingers along the ones at eye level. Musical Theatre Club, Film Club, Animation Club, Spanish Club, Volunteer Services, Journalism Club, Yearbook Club...

"...about music? You like music, right? You'd have to, to be wearing those headphones all day."

"What?" I turned away from the wall of colour towards Lyra, she was raising her eyebrows and pointing towards a small section of the board. "Yeah, I guess." Junior Band, Big Band, Glee Club, Marching Band, Orchestra... "What's a glee club?"

Lyra stepped closer, bending down to read the small writing on the poster that had caught my eye. "Join the King's High Glee Club! Let your voice be heard! Huh, I think it's based on that TV show, you know-- the one with all the singing and dancing? Who's signed up already?"

"Just one person so far, Hadley Walters. Do you know her?" I asked, watching Lyra as she fumbled through all her pockets to find a pen and scribble her own name on the sheet underneath Hadley's.

She put the pen away, the rush of blood to her cheeks slowly fading. "I don't know her personally, but I trust her judgement so I 100% recommend this club."

"But you don't know what it is...?"

"Please join with me? It'll be a laugh?" I had no choice, so I held my hand out for the pen. "Girl, you have officially made it into my top 10 people list. This is going to be AWESOME! Prepare yourself, A. Auditions are... lunch time and after school between tomorrow and Friday!"

Great, I told myself. This is either going to be brilliant... or a trainwreck. Once my name was on there, I immediately regretted my decision and hoped it wasn't the latter.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Songs featured in this chapter:

Badass Woman - Meghan Trainor

On Top of the World - Imagine Dragons

Truth Hurts - Lizzo