Chapter 2

The door slides open and all that the mask could think about is getting out of there. He tightened up his grip on the card almost breaking it in half as he felt like he was approaching the gate. He turned a corner and there, In front of him was a large door waiting to be opened. He leaped over to the door and opened it swiftly. The door opened slowly as he stood silently in disbelief.

As the door opened he thought about what he was going to do. There are probably going to be loads of guards waiting for him on the other side of the door but that didn't stop him from completing his task. He physically and mentally prepared himself to fight if necessary. The door opened and he resumed his sprinting.

 To his surprise, there was no one but him on the other side although he did see some bodies in the corners of his eyes. He stopped momentarily to calm himself down. Just his luck that he ended up stopping a little too close to one of the corpses. And so he came closer to investigate and see if he can figure out who did all this. First of all, it couldn't have been 106 because if it was these bodies wouldn't even be there and instead of them, there would have been pools of black acid covering the ground where they were before. It sure as heck wasn't 173. "No.." he hummed to himself as it was obvious their neck wasn't the only thing that got broken and twisted. His last guess was 096, and that choice felt pretty promising, but even if it would have been 096 he would certainly be somewhere around sobbing away. Which he wasn't. The silence was getting unsettling, and the air felt too thick to breathe in. 

But the mask continued on his journey as he started to run down the road and was slowly reaching the edge of the site. "Finally!"  But he wasn't out of the woods just yet, he stumbled next to the door to the large fence that was surrounding the perimeter. He reached to open the last gate. But gunshots were fired as soon as he came closer. He tried to stay out of the way but it almost seemed like they were shooting behind him rather than at him. He was confused but was grateful for the chance, he didn't even bother turning around to look at what they were really shooting at. He opened the gate and then he became the target. He tried to wait behind a corner of the gate protecting himself with his hosts hands. Soon ear-piercing screams were heard just behind the corner. The shooting had ceased and the mask came out from behind the corner seeing what only looked like the corpses of the guards that had been trying to shoot at what they had succumbed to. But what did kill them, was nowhere to be found. It was an unsettling sight to see, but what was more unsettling was that the corpses where killed in a similar manner as the ones he found beforehand.

 It threw him off but he quickly pushed it to the back of his mind and looked up at the now opened gate. And he finally ran through. As he ran he felt the need to constantly look behind him and into the thick woods that were now surrounding his every direction. He eventually reached a field but quickly changed his mind about going through it because of the sound of helicopters fluttering around searching for him. He knew if he stayed in one place for long they would eventually find him especially now that he was really out.  So he kept moving at a steady speed not sprinting but also not walking. The day past by quickly for him and he had to find somewhere to stay overnight without the foundation being able to find him. He walked a bit further when he stumbled upon a small village. He wasn't quite sure what century he was in but the village seemed pretty old that's for sure. He wasn't sure of how far away the foundation was but where else was he supposed to stay...

He waited just a little longer for the darkness to set in so people would have a harder time making out what he was wearing and what he actually was. he waited until it had seemed that everyone in the village has died as it was even quieter than the loud silence at the foundation. All that was really heard where the sounds of crickets and him sneaking closer to one of the nearby houses. He opened the door to one of them and carefully closed it behind him praying that the door does not squeak from how old it was. He cautiously went through the villagers things and soon learned that there was but one person in this tiny home. He went to look into other rooms and found the bedroom of the resident. And since he was the only one in the house he figured he could greet him and maybe chat a little and on some occasion get a new host as this one was barely holding up anymore, to be honest, he looked like one of 049-2 instances. "049... He must be heartbroken, that escape seemed so promising and yet I'm the only survivor, all the others are still in there, all my friends...they are all stuck and I'm supposed to get them out, a lowly mask that can only do so much. " he grieved at that thought. 

The mask continued to explore the house and found an attic. He walked up the stairs and looked around curiously scanning the area for anything that could prove useful later. A book caught his eye and he hurried over to see what it said. It was a diary and the mask became even more curious. He opened it reading what's inside...

It said: "Don't go into the woods no matter what, always go through open spaces and have more then two people with you if you go somewhere! NEVER EVER listen to voices in your head telling you to go into the forest!!! There are things that I would wish to forget but what happened I can't undo and the sight of her will haunt my every dream and nightmare..." the mask was taken aback at how hurried the writing looked and how serious it sounded. He flipped through the pages but they were blank, it was a rather small pocketbook. At the last two pages there where sketches of a girl from the head to the chest she had long wavy hair but her face was covered with it. That was until he flipped to the last page and saw a creature so vividly horrifying he was sure that it was even more spine-chilling in reality that was of course if it was even real... Something caught his attention in this picture though and that was her face this time her face was uncovered. Her eyes where forever wide open from whatever shock she had at that moment. It was a very dreadful picture but he continued to view it. Her eyes where jet black and there where streaks of black like liquid that had appeared to be flowing from her eyes and mouth.

He wasn't sure if the person who drew this was just trying to make her look like she was crying. 

But there was definitely something wrong with this picture.

He hurryingly put the book into one of the pockets he had on his chest and approached the stairs that led back down out of the attic

He hurryingly put the book into one of the pockets he had on his chest and approached the stairs that led back down out of the attic. then took a hold of the railing and took his first step. To this day this was the worst time that it could've happened. His leg fell off! He knew it was eventually going to happen but he didn't know it was going to happen in such a major moment. And it so conveniently was the leg he used to start going down the stairs... he tumbles down them all the while cursing in a language only he spoke and ending with a great thud as he reached the bottom. 

"FFFFF-SHIT!"

He yelled. Luckily nothing actually happened to the mask, but his host was the one who took the beating and the mask was pretty sure that the other leg was going to fall off any time now and disintegrate into broken-down bone. There was no way he was making it those two meters to the villagers bedroom and obtaining control over their body the mask thought giving up in the situation. But the person living in the house must have woke up since the mask heard shuffling coming from the bedroom. "well I'm screwed..." the mask thought while awaiting the person to panic and scream at the sight. I mean who wouldn't... Having a dead body fall from your attic with a mysterious mask lying next to it I mean maybe it would've been tempting to put the mask on?... But that not my place to say...

The owner of the house stepped out of the room and the mask tried his best to convince him to put him on. It took some time but eventually, he broke through his walls. The person reached for the mask and put him on. And again as if it was a routine he had practiced every day, he stretched and sighed with his baritone voice and thought "well what now I guess I could stay put for a night in here" he thought

"I can't be here for long anyway..."