There was a little mini radio behind the counter, high up on a shelf. I grab the little white stool under the cash register and set up so I can step and use it on the high shelf. I reach up and turn it on, finding the right radio station to keep me company while I set up for an hour. Once I do, I hop down and start doing my thing.

I punch in and start turning everyone on; steamers, espresso machines, grinders, everything to be open in an hour. I started grabbing dishes from the back and bringing them out to the racks, then putting the frozen baked goods in the oven so I can put them on the display case.

This opening hour might be lonely, but it's also therapeutic. I have some of my best thoughts when I'm setting up in the morning with just the quiet music playing. These past few weeks hasn't been the time to be alone with my thoughts though, because I just kept thinking about how much of a screw up I am for dropping a big opportunity.

As I was hanging up the coffee cups, I heard the sound of the front door chime. People tend to think the store is open because I'm standing in here and the lights are on.

"Sorry were not open till seven." I said with my back to the front door. This happens a lot in the morning when I open.

"Can we talk?" I heard the familiar mans voice, immediately a froze.

Not again.

I turned around and saw Ryan standing there, soaked in the doorway. Surprisingly he wasn't in his letterman jacket for once. I was shocked he was here, how did he know I was working this early? I couldn't have him in the store before it opened.

"Ry...you need to leave." I pointed to the door while being completely caught off guard by him. "You can't walk in here before the store opens."

"How else am I suppose to get your attention?" He instead steps in as I was behind the counter.

"I'm not going to tell you again. Please leave before you get me in trouble." I couldn't stress this situation enough, my chest got tight.

"No one will know I'm here." He doesn't listen to me like usual, running his wet blonde hair back out of his face.

"I don't want you here." I shake my head while continuing to put things away behind the counter.

"Why won't you just talk to me?"

"Because I don't want to and there's nothing left to be discussed. If you cared about me then you'd leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you, I don't want to see you, and I definitely don't want to entertain whatever you're trying to say to me. I've moved on, and I never want to go back. So please Ryan, just leave me alone." I get fed up with this persistent behaviour of not leaving me alone.

"I love you Aven—"

"Stop." I halt, not wanting to hear this any longer. "Do not say that at a time like this. I gave you a year of my life where I'd say that to you all the time and you took it for granted. I will not be that person to you anymore, please just let me go, let me be happy."

He froze as I said the last part, both of us standing in the middle of the empty store. I wanted to scream at him but I couldn't, I never could. For once he just stopped arguing with me and listen to what I had to say. I felt cold hearted, standing here and speaking these things. But he needed to stop this, I can't keep going on like this with him. He needs to move on and leave me.

"You want me gone for good?" He asks in a stern voice, stepping forward once in intimidation.

I stepped back and kept my stare at him a few meters away.

"I just want you to move on." I state. "You've hurt me too much Ryan, I can't go back." My hand gripped my other arm in anxiousness.

He dipped his head down and nodded, droplets if water falling off his blonde ends.

"You'll regret this." He mutters while shaking his head, a mutter that scared me so much in the past.

"Please.." I shake my head.

"Fine, I'm gone. But don't ever think about calling me if you're in trouble or need anything. Got it?" He turns cold, but I guess I expected him too.

He turned around and stormed out of the coffee shop, ramming the door open so it banged against the outside wall. I jumped at the noise as he was already gone. I shut my eyes and shook my head, standing alone again in this store but with a whole different feeling in my stomach.

Why can't things just be easy?

I never wanted to be cold to him, that's just the point he pushed me too. I'm never one to raise my voice or argue, but maybe I need to learn to.

I was so frustrated, running my hair back out of my still damp hair and cursing under my breath. In a pit of frustration, I stomped over to my purse hanging on the rack behind the counter. My hands dived in for my phone to where I snatched it out and turned it on.

I couldn't even think straight as I was scrolling through my contacts to find a specific name. Adrenaline was pumping my confidence at this point, I had no hesitation left in me.

I find the name and click the call button, bringing the device to my ear and listening to the ring. I put my fingernail between my teeth, holding the phone to my ear and impatiently waiting for a voice to come through as I tapped my foot.

"Chavem Silver speaking."

I'm surprised he picked up at this hour.

"Chavem, it's Aven. We met a couple weeks ago." I blurted out while tapping my foot.

"Aven.." He says awkwardly, like he really wasn't expecting this call. I don't blame him, it's been two weeks. "What can I do for you?" He seems confused.

"Are you still searching of a tour photographer for Duplicity?" I ask.

"Well, we've found a few interested occupants. But nothing is signed yet." He says.

I let the line go silent as my mind uncontrollably battled with itself. I bit my lip, patting my hand against my pants while pacing back and forth.

Do it Aven, you need to get on with your life.

"I'll take the job if you're still offering it to me." I commit.

//