Chapter 10: Moving

Start from the beginning

"You offered me love. That's your superpower, Jemma. You have a great capability to love. You love strongly, deeply and passionately. You are a very compassionate person, and that's what the world needs right now; someone who is compassionate. And even on a smaller scale, who needs you? The Avengers need you; your parents need you; Wanda needs you. So many people rely and depend on you, and no matter how much it hurts, you have to press on, if not for you or me, for them." Jemma didn't respond; she knew that Lily was right but knowing that she had to stay and actually staying were two different things, and it was definitely easier said than done. Lily sighed and embraced Jemma again. The tears in her eyes finally spilled over as she realized their time together was up.

"I love you, so much Jemma Bean. Never forget that, okay?"

"I won't. I love you too. You won't forget me, right?"

"I'll always be with you, Jemma Bean. You are my greatest joy. Thank you, for being the light in my life." Lily gave Jemma one more kiss as the sunlight in the room grew brighter, blinding Jemma. "Goodbye, Jemma."

○○○

Jemma woke with a start, bright morning light streaming in her bedroom window. Leaning over her, was the familiar green eyes of Wanda looking at her with concern.

"Are you alright?" Jemma sat up and rubbed her eyes and let out a little yawn. Getting out of the bed, she stretched and made her way to the door, walking to the kitchen. She turned on the black Keurig machine and placed a coffee cup into it. She then grabbed a mug from one of the cupboards and placed it under the dispenser. As the cup filled with coffee, Jemma turned towards the doorway, seeing Wanda standing there, still waiting for an answer.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said as she grabbed the milk to put into her coffee, not looking at Wanda again. Wanda still stood in the doorway, watching Jemma curiously and raised an eyebrow at her statement.

"I could hear you crying from my room," she said with her thick Sokovian accent. "I thought you said that we should be honest about how we feel." Jemma froze slightly as she recalled saying that to Wanda whenever she got nightmares.

"I...just had a dream. I saw Lily, alive, at least I think she was alive. I don't know, but I saw her and talked to her...and I guess I just wasn't prepared for it." Jemma took a sip of her coffee. "I'm sorry if I woke you."

Wanda sent her a sympathetic smile as she crossed the room to stand next to her roommate.

"It is alright. I read that dreams like that are supposed to mean that you are moving on." Wanda placed a pale hand on Jemma's. Jemma was grateful that the girl was here with her. The stillness of living alone unnerved Jemma and she couldn't take it anymore, and she was lucky when the Avengers decided that Wanda living in the compound wasn't a good idea since after Jemma left after her visit, Wanda slowly sank back into her depression, and they once again had to call Jemma to come back over. They didn't fully understand why Jemma was the only one to snap Wanda out of her depression and back into reality, but they did understand that she would be much better off living with the widow, who in turn, needed her too. Together the two grieving women helped each other through their grief.

It had been approximately a year since Ultron's attack on Sokovia and the deaths of Lily and Pietro, and while they had their moments, Wanda and Jemma were getting better. For the first time in a long time, both women were starting to become happy. Wanda started becoming more confident in herself and her powers and Jemma started to listen to her own advice that she gave Wanda and stopped shutting people out. Ever since Wanda moved into Jemma's guest room, the air in the apartment was once again light and happy; like it was before Ultron. Laughter filled the apartment once more as the two women joked around and watched cheesy comedies and romantic comedies. Jemma never said it, but she was entirely grateful for Wanda's presence.