Micah Bell: Only Human Part 2

Start from the beginning

When you heard Micah speak, you turned back to him, wondering what he was going to say. He just pulled a piece of paper out of the front pocket of his shirt, silently holding it out to you. You walked over to him and took the paper form his hand, unfolding it as your gaze flickered between the paper and Micah.

Micah was still sitting on the edge of his cot, now staring down at his lap as he waited for you to examine the paper. You returned your attention to the piece of paper as you opened it, seeing that it was a letter addressed to Micah. As you started to read the letter, you sat down beside him.

Micah,

Thank you for your letter. I suppose I am glad you ain't been hanged yet, but I am going to have to insist upon you the fact that if I see you, won't be no one needs to hang you, as I will break your neck. It ain't that I don't love you, because I do, what with you being my family and all that we done together, but it's that I am now a family man, as you know. I have daughters, as you know.

I swore to the Lord Almighty that I would protect my daughters from all that is evil and wrong in this world, if only he would help me repent of all that I done when we was running together, as you know. And that means repenting of you, as you know, and washing my hands of you. Do not attempt to approach me. Do not attempt to visit me.

Do not claim you know me. If I hear you are within fifty miles of me, I will come and find you and then you'll meet your maker and apologise to him on both our behalves for them things we did. Non of this should come to you as news. I was shocked to receive your letter. Do not wrote to me again.

Your brother,
Amos Bell

"Oh..." was all you managed to say once you finished reading the letter. You hadn't known what to expect but know you didn't know what to say.

"Yeah, 'oh'" Micah mimicked you and you tried not to take it personally as he snatched the letter from your hands, folding it back up and tucking it away in his pocket again.

"You sent a letter to Amos?" you asked. Of course you were disheartened by what Amos had written but you were still surprised that Micah had tried to contact him, you thought that they had nothing to do with each other anymore.

"Uh huh, yeah. Clearly, that was a fantastic fucking idea" Micah scoffed. You weren't sure whether he was mad at Amos or mad at himself.

"Micah, don't be so hard on yourself. You reached out to him and he turned you down, you tried and that's all you can do" you assured him, placing your hand on his shoulder. You couldn't blame Amos for not wanting anything to do with his brother or the outlaw life but you weren't going to say that to Micah. You wanted to be here for Micah, that meant comforting him even if he wouldn't admit that it was bothering him.

"I shouldn't have sent the damn letter. Should've known that he wouldn't give a shit" Micah grumbled to himself. Yeah, he was mad at himself.

"Why did you write to him? I mean...after all this time" you asked, curious about what made him want to talk to his brother again.

"Dunno...I didn't want to write to him for a long time, didn't even want anything to do with him. I dunno when that changed, just felt like writing to him" he shrugged, still staring down at his lap. He felt foolish and pathetic, you hated seeing him like this.

Micah said that he didn't know what had made him want to write to his brother but you had a feeling that his little emotional breakdown in the woods had something to do with his interest in reaching out to his brother.