Chapter Forty-Nine: Back and Forth

Start from the beginning

You're not forgiving him so easily, are you? Cayton asks me.

Of course I am, I say back. Look at him Cayton, he's your best friend and he's on his knees apologizing.

Cayton doesn't respond, instead going further into that hard mask. I know he isn't a quick forgiver, so I don't press further, instead turning my attention to Carter. He looks at me like a kicked puppy and I smile slightly.

"Carter, I know you didn't mean what you said. I know you were caught up with worry for Bethany. I won't lie, it stings a little. But. I forgive you for it Jellybean," I say, trying to lighten the mood with that nickname I know he hates.

Before I can get more out, he quickly grabs me and pulls me in the tightest hug I've ever received. It actually knocks the air out of my lungs. I'm taken aback for a second, and I smile, something snarky forming on the tip of my tongue when I feel it. And hear it. And. Dammit.

He starts shaking. Then, I hear the first sob break from his lips as he holds on to me tighter. Suddenly I feel my good shoulder becoming wet, and all I can think is Holy shit who is this and what did they do with my asshole friend Carter? Even Cayton looks shocked.

I wrap my arms around Carter, returning the bone-crushing hug. It hurts a bit, but I don't say anything because I'm at risk of losing it myself--

"I'm so sorry," Carter cries out, followed by another round of loud sobs.

And that's when I officially lose it.

There's about ten minutes of waterworks. He cries, I cry. He tells me he's so sorry, I tell him I forgive him through tears. We hold tight and cry like two actual babies on the floor. I glance at Cayton briefly and through the blurriness I see a sight that almost makes me stop crying and start laughing. He looks exactly like someone who's stuck in a room with two people who just burst out crying, not knowing what to do, eyes wide, debating whether or not he should come to us or let us ride it out. He settles on the latter, choosing instead to awkwardly step back and try to watch anything else.

Eventually we settle down and he lets me out of his vice grip, and I start wiping my snotty nose on my shirt, like the prim and proper young lady I am.

Standing up, dragging Carter with me, I wipe my hands on my shirt and pat my cheeks. "Alright, I'm glad we got that out of the way. Now we can go back to being our hardcore, badass selves," I smile. Carter gives me the smallest of smiles and looks over at Cayton, who looks similar to someone waiting for a bomb to go off.

"Do you mind if we have a minute?" Carter asks me, and I look briefly at Cayton. Asking if it's ok, but mostly trying to tell him he better behave. He nods, so I throw up a peace sign and walk out the door, shutting it behind me.

I huff, making sure my face doesn't have any residual wetness before I try and locate the bathroom. I briefly think Hmm, I could probably find it using this new super-detector referring to my newly enhanced sense of smell, but then I remind myself that the only thing worse than a smelly bathroom is a smelly bathroom with enhanced smell. So I decide to find Waylon instead.

*

By the time I'm back in the room where everyone is waiting, save for Cayton and Carter, Joshua and Bethany are already in there waiting. They were saying something to everyone before I came in, and as I enter they pause. I can see Bethany looking for Carter, but I wave my hand. "As you were lads. Cayton and Carter might be a minute or so."

"They might be more useful here," Joshua says, a hint of annoyance in his voice. I purse my lips, thinking of how to buy time.

"Joshua, is it?" I ask. He looks at me and nods after a second, eyebrow quirked. "Sorry, we never really got to properly introduce ourselves given the circumstances. The whole, you know," I motion to my eyes and then flick my hands up from the top of my head, trying to signal some wolfy ears. I consider howling for effect but I'm unsure if that's offensive.