Chapter 20

We walked back into the greatly lavished room a few minutes later, properly attired. His parents stood up and came over to us, assessing me now.

            “Mmm, yes. Much better,” his mom said, circling around me.

            “Well, she's right down gorgeous now, son!” his father exclaimed. He came over, taking my hand and kissing it. “Andy's lucky to find one as beautiful as you.”

            I smiled and said softly, “Thank you, sire.”

            He chuckled, “Yes, I like her!”

            “I knew you would, father,” Andrew said. “Shall we sit and eat? I'm sure Cassandra's starving.”

            “Yes,” his mother sniped. “Let's eat.”

            The king and queen sat at each end of the long table, with Andrew and I sitting in the middle, across from each other. Somehow, the servants knew we were ready to eat, because they suddenly swept out of nowhere and placed a feast in front of us. When the meal was served, we prayed, then began to eat. I politely answered all questions directed at me.

            “What do you think of the meal?” the king asked.

            “It's the best meal I've ever had,” I said truthfully.

            “Yes, well, it should be. We pay them to make us splendid meals,” the queen said, stabbing a piece of meat with her fork.

            In the middle of a course, the queen suddenly put down her utensils and stared at us. “Andrew?”

            “Yes mother?” Andrew asked nervously.

            “You know you can't marry her,” she said.

            “Why ever not!” the king asked loudly.

            “What of our treaty with Belaria?! He and the princess are betrothed! And now he's suddenly engaged to this girl?”

            “Well, they did attack us,” the king muttered.

            “Yes, and Cassandra stopped the war!” Andrew declared.

            “That doesn't matter, Andrew. You can't marry her,” she said.

            “The princess has been missing for all of her life though! Do you really expect her to show up?”

            “You will marry the princess! Not this...this servant girl!”

            “But I love her!”

            “That doesn't matter,” the queen said icily. “People marry who aren't in love all of the time. This won't be any different.”

            Andrew leaped up, shouting, “I don't even know why I came back!”         

            He rushed out of the room. I sat there, silently, looking down in my lap. The silence was palpable. There was a hesitant knock on the door.

            “Come in!” the queen yelled, clearly angry.

            Robbie stuck his head in. “I hope I'm not interrupting...”

            “Well, it's too late for that,” the queen grumbled.

            “I couldn't help but hear. I thought you two would like to know something before you ruin your son's and Cassandra's lives.”