Chapter 15

I was dressed in my pink gown for dinner. George led me to the table and pulled out my chair. I couldn't help thinking of Andrew and our last dinner together. Our guests were a young couple who apparently were friends with George.

"Aw, she's just enchanting," the woman said, whose name was Shirley.

 "Where'd you find such a fine young woman?" the man asked, whose name was Tom.

 "She fostered with my uncles all of her life. Her parents died when she was born and my uncles took her in," George lied smoothly. Bill and Mark grinned at him. I ate silently.

 "Well, it's very generous of you to marry an orphan," Shirley said.

 "I don't think generosity was on his mind," Tom said suggestively. Shirley hit Tom playfully.

 "Well, she's not that great looking," Bill said.

 "She's absolutely adorable! With the right training and sources, we could really make something out of her!" Shirley said, clapping her hands.

 "Oh, a project! I must say Shirley enjoys those," Tom said.

 "It'll be very hard work," Bill said. "She's such a bother."

 "Nonsense! Look at her! She's an angel. What's your name, sweetie?" Shirley asked.

 I looked up at her and said softly, "Cassandra."

 "Such a sweet name, and respectable. Yes, I think we'll be able to do something with her."

 "Although, there's not much to her," Tom muttered. They were all assessing me as I sat there silently, looking down at my plate. "She's as tiny as a chicken!"

 "Yes! Are you sure you're feeding her?" Shirley said, smoothing down her dress over her curves.

 "Of course," George said.

 "It's not our fault if she won't eat," Mark muttered.

 "Of course not," Shirley laughed. "We will have to do something about that."

 "Must you change my fiancée so much?" George chuckled. I shuddered at that word.

 "You must remember, darling," Tom said to his wife, "He loves her for who she is."

 Not nearly, I thought. I sighed softly and looked around the dining room. It was nice, but not as nice as the restaurant or the hotel. I twirled my fork around in my fingers, not paying attention to the conversation anymore.

 "Cassandra!" Bill barked. I jumped up from my seat.

 "Hmmm, she certainly is strange," Shirley tittered as my cheeks flushed and I sat back down.

 "Well, she is an orphan, Shirley," George reminded her. I huddled into my seat, trying to disappear.

 "Sit up straight!" Shirley said. I sat up. George's hand traced down my leg. I jerked it away, knocking the table. Everyone looked at me.

 "She has, uh, leg spasms," Bill said. "The grief of losing her parents did it to her."

 "Poor baby," Shirley said. "What ever did you do?"

 "I survived my tribulations, no matter how cruel they were," I replied softly.

 "Ah, strong one, is she?" Tom said, then chuckled, "She'll have to be with you, right, George?"

 "Of course," George smiled cruelly, running his hand up my leg.

 I jumped up. When everyone looked at me, I mumbled, "I was going to help Mrs. Molly."

 Shirley giggled, "Nonsense, child. A lady doesn't help in the kitchen."

 "She can't help it," George said. "She just loves to help."

 Shirley nodded, "I used to be that way, but then found out socializing was much more fun!"

 I sighed. I couldn't wait for this night to be over.

 ∞ ∞ ∞

 I was curled up in the small bed in my new prison, thinking of Andrew, when an idea came to me. All I had to do was escape through the ceiling, climb down, join the war, and find Robbie and Andrew. I drifted off into sleep with a smile on my face.

 The next morning, pounding came on my door.

"Get up, you worthless girl!" Bill's voice came from the other side of the door. He unlocked the door and yanked me up from the bed. I was surprised he had even climbed up the stairs. "Come down and make us breakfast!"

 I quickly ran down the stairs, not wanting to be bodily handled by him again. I raced into the kitchen and began to help Mrs. Molly.

 "Oh my! Ya' just need ta' escape. Say, I'll even help ya'. Your such a sweet little thang. What do ya' need?" she asked.

 "A rope?" I asked hopefully.

 She thought, then shook her head, "We don't have any of those."

 "Bed sheets? I could tie them together and climb down," I said.

 "Now, tha' I can help ya' with," she beamed. "I'll slip ya' one each night, but ya' gotta hide 'em somewhere."

 "That's not a problem," I said, hugging her. "Thank you so much."

 "No problem, little chicklin'," she said, handing me a platter to put on the table. I took it and headed to the dining room. They were all sitting, waiting for me.

 "Ah, here is the lazy chit now," Mark said, grabbing a roll and stuffing it into his mouth.

"So, when is the wedding date?" George asked them.

 "In a week. We must let everyone know," Bill said. I gulped. A week was so close by. I started to choke. "Go back to the kitchen, you stupid girl."

 I went back and told Mrs. Molly. "Well, I just hafta give you two sheets a night. I just hope they don't notice."

 "You don't have to do it, Mrs. Molly. You've been so kind already. You could lose your job."

 "Nonsense, child. I like ta' help out."

"Thank  you, again."

************************************************************************************

It's time for. . . THE GREAT ESCAPE!!!

Please Comment!