Chapter 12

"Cassandra? Can you hear me?" I heard Andrew's voice in my ear as my eyes fluttered open.

"Ah, glad ta' see ya' awake miss," a new voice said. I looked around, finding the speaker.

"Andrew? What happened?" I murmured softly, reaching out to take his hand. He took it gladly, holding it tightly with both of his.

"One of my country's navy's ships came to rescue us. I, uh, had some connections with some people when I was living there. They rescued us, although many people died. Don't worry," he said at my expression, "Robbie's still alive. You passed out, giving me quite a fright."

  "I'll say," the man who had spoken earlier said, "Wouldn't leave your side all this time."

"This is Captain Morris," Andrew explained.

"Pleased to meet you," I said weakly.

"Like wise, little lady," he answered, eyes twinkling. He turned to Andrew, "What should we do with the prisoners, Your....um, sir?"

"Keep them under lock and key until we get to Belaria. The pirate's plans involved them."

"Yes...sir," the captain said, then he left the room.

"Hmmm," I mumbled as the door shut, "He seems to respect you a lot."

"Yes," Andrew murmured, sitting beside me on the bed I was laying on. He gazed down at me lovingly, them put something into my hands. I looked at it closely.

"My Mother of Pearl!" I exclaimed, running my fingers over the smooth side.

"Yes, from the day on the beach. It seems like such a long time ago."

"I still remember the day well, though. And I still like the Mother of Pearl. I'll cherish it forever," I said. Andrew smiled, running his hands through my hair, and leaning down closely, his mouth mere inches away. I glanced down at his masculine lips, then back up to his gray eyes. His head came closer when there was a knock on the door. Andrew sighed, I felt the rush of air on my lips. He got up and threw the

"Robbie!" I exclaimed, jumping up. That was a mistake since I almost fell over. Andrew caught me as I tried to run over to Robbie. "What happened to you?"

"Who are you?" he asked, looking me over, clear confusion written on his face.

I gasped, "Robbie! It's me! Cassandra! Remember? You told me stories and bandaged my hands!"

He started laughing, "I remember you, Cassandra. I was just playing with you!"

I glared at him, "Well, I didn't find it funny at all."

"You have to admit that was funny," he said as we both stood there, glaring at him. "Well sorry for interrupting a moment!"