Chapter 8

I shivered under the blankets uncontrollably. It had gotten colder than I thought it would, faster too. Andrew paced around the room, glancing at me now and then. My teeth started to chatter. I curled up in a little ball, trying to get warmer. I heard Andrew groan and pace faster.

He had been right about it being unbearably cold. We had been on the ship for a month, and it was only supposed to get colder. I shivered harder at the thought. All during that day, I had sat in front of the fire with blankets draped over and around me. It was much worse at night.

A little while later, I heard Andrew's footsteps come up to the bed. I looked up as he slid in and held his arms out to me. I crawled into them. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me towards him. He was warm, very warm. I stopped shivering a minute later. I hid my face in his chest, away from the cold room. My eyes shut as I snuggled closer to Andrew. His arms tightened protectively around me and I fell asleep.

∞ ∞ ∞

I woke up in the morning feeling warm. It was a nice feeling. I opened my eyes and saw Andrew's gray gaze watching me.

"Good morning," I said, stretching. The blanket fell back slightly, letting in a gust of cold air. I shivered and moved closer to Andrew. He brought the blanket back up, then wrapped his arms around me again. It was pleasant being in his embrace. I sighed as I cuddled even closer.

"Is it really supposed to get colder?" I asked. I felt Andrew nod. I heaved a heavy sigh, dismayed. "Will it be cold where we're going?"

"Yes, but it's enjoyable there. It snows and everything is blanketed by the white softness. It's quite and peaceful. Later, kids go out and play in it, but it's still a beautiful sight," he said.

"It sounds nice," I said.

"It is," he replied.

"Have you ever played in the snow?"

"Many times," he chuckled.

"Will we be able to play in the snow?" I asked.

"It should still be snowing when we get there, so, probably."

"What's it like?"

He thought about it for a second, then said, "Cold."

"Ha ha, very funny," I said, shivering just at the thought of cold.

There was a quite knock at the door. Andrew slid out of the bed hastily, tucking the blankets back up around me. I moved to the place he had occupied and basked in the warmth his body had left behind. I heard the door open as I turned my face into the pillow. It smelled like Andrew, masculine and soapy. I heard Cook's voice, then the door closing softly.

"Breakfast," Andrew said cheerily, walking back over to the bed. He chuckled when he saw me snuggling in his warmth. He shoved me over gently and got back under the blankets with a tray of food. I sat up, taking a bowl of warm oatmeal. I took a quick bite, burning my tongue.

"Slow down," Andrew laughed, taking the bowl away from me and handing me some milk. I took a sip, letting it cool down my tongue.

"Sorry, I'm just cold," I mumbled, taking the bowl back so it would warm my hands. Andrew set the tray aside and put his arm around me, drawing me closer. I leaned my head against his shoulder and shut my eyes. Andrew was trembling slightly. I looked up at him. Our faces were mere centimeters away. I gasped as his face came closer. I didn't notice the bowl had slipped from my hands until I felt something burning against my skin. I yelped and jumped back, waving my burning hands in the frigid air. Andrew jumped up, taking the bowl with him. He quickly cleaned up the mess. He came back to the bed and gingerly took my hands.