CHAPTER 23

She was dead for a moment.

Rosaline had died for a moment with no pulse, no breathing, nothing. He almost lost her on his operating table. He couldn't get her to breathe and he couldn't get her heart to beat. Just as realization dawned upon him, life flooded back in her.

Law ran his hand through his spiky hair before he hunched forward, his eyes staring at the tiled floor. A steady beeping sound echoed through the Operating Room and steady breathing next to him reached his ears.

The whole crew were on edge. They didn't have time to rest because she needed to be monitored 24/7. They could say she was stable but they didn't want to take the risk. After she lost her pulse the day before, they checked up on her every second and Law stayed by her bed.

There was a knock on the door and Law looked up to see Bepo standing in the doorway. "We have the test results, Captain," he said. Law grunted as he stood up. He glanced at Rosaline and hoped that they had found the cause of her symptoms.

He needed to know what the problem was in order for him to find the solution. He was going to save her and the results were going to help him do it. He was going to hone all the information he had and make a cure.

Law walked out of the room and followed Bepo into another room just next to the Operating Room to see Shachi and Penguin already there. They were getting the last of the test results and glanced back at Law as soon as they finished.

"No change, Captain?" Shachi asked and Law shook his head. She hadn't changed for the better but she had also not changed for the worst. She was still in the same state as after they resuscitated her and hadn't been near reaching consciousness.

"What does the test results say?" Law asked as he pushed the dreaded memory to the back of his mind and Penguin handed over the test paper. He took it and started to page through them, his eyes scanning each of the results carefully.

"Everything's normal, except her blood. We detected something very strange and it seems to destroy every cell in its path. Any idea what that might be? Maybe she has some kind of disease?" Penguin asked and Law's brows knitted together.

"Do you still have a sample of her blood? I'd like to see it under a microscope," Law questioned and they nodded. Bepo quickly pulled out a small container and Law took the container before he moved towards the microscope to inspect the blood by only one droplet.

He stared at the blood and saw something strange consume the cells inside the red fluid. He had never seen something like it in his life. His eyes widened when he saw the strange unknown source disperse, taking the cell with it before it regenerated back together.

Law gritted his teeth as a thought crossed his mind before he pulled away from the microscope. He felt anger course through his veins and saw red. He knew exactly what the cause was and it made his own blood boil.

"She doesn't have a disease," Law stated. The entire crew stared blankly at one another and then back at their Captain. "She's been poisoned." Law's voice was low and dangerous, his statement causing the other three to gasp in shock.

"Poisoned? When was she poisoned?" Bepo asked in horror and Law's face darkened while he tried to push down his anger. His fingers were intertwined with one another but he was clenching them together.

"This is called the Supertemporal drug. The people who take it in never know of it because it kicks in after years of consuming. Rosa-ya has been taking this drug for years by the way it has progressed," Law explained.

"W-Who would poison her? She was a marine and on the World Government's side. She also said that no pirate ever lived long enough to poison her," Penguin mused before they all saw veins pulsing out from Law's head in his anger.