What Lies Ahead

The friendship between Daryl Dixon and Izzy Carter was enough to make just about anyone jealous. They almost never even had to speak a word to know what the other was thinking. To anyone who had known Daryl Dixon before the turn or even just towards the very beginning, they would be able to see how much Izzy's presence influenced him. All it took was one hand on his shoulder and he would immediately stop his passing and start to relax slightly.

Daryl and Izzy lead the caravan of cars on Daryl's motorcycle. Izzy's arms were wrapped around Daryl's waist and her head was rested on his shoulder. Carefully the two weaved their way through the car pile up before circling back to the others to show them the way.

Everyone pulled to a stop as the radiator hose on Dale's rv blew. Daryl and Izzy were already ahead of the game and had started to rummage through the cars. Izzy pulled to a stop as Lori stated that it was a grave yard.

"Just.. look around. Gather what you can," T-Dog declares and the group split up. Izzy headed in the same direction as Daryl.

"I just noticed, you kept the angel wing vest I gave you."

Daryl shrugged. "It was my favorite thing ya got me, of course I kept it." Izzy blushed slightly and tossed Daryl a smile. In the background, Glenn shook his head. They were so in love, anyone could see it. And yet, they were both single because they were idiots.

They searched around a little more. Izzy found a cooler full of food, but before she had time to check to see if anything was edible, Daryl grabbed her arm and crouched down. Izzy tossed him a confused look until Daryl nodded towards the herd like group of zombies then to the car they were by.

Silently, they both crawled closer to the car until they heard T-Dog gasping. Izzy nodded and the two inseparable friends approached the situation. Daryl silently took out the walker whilst Izzy wrapped a cloth around T-Dog's wound . Then both berried themselves and T-Dog among the dead.

After several long, painful moments, Daryl and Izzy made eye contact and pushed the dead off of them. It was silently for a moment, maybe two, then the screams of Sophia were heard. Izzy stood up to asses what was going on. She glanced back towards Daryl.

"Go, I got him."

That was all she needed to start her journey towards the screams. Izzy pushed through the crowd that had formed and hopped the fence in search of the little girl. She found Rick and the dead first. Approaching from behind, she drove her knife through the base of one's skull. The other walker was killed by Rick and a good sized rock.

"Where is she?" Rick nodded towards the way he came.

"Over here." Izzy followed his lead till Rick pulled to a stop. "Sophia? Sophia!" But it was to little to late . She was gone.

Time skip:

"I drew the walkers that direction up the creek," Rick explained to Daryl.

"That's where I found Rick. I didn't see Sophia," Izzy trailed off. "But it does appear she headed the way Rick set her. I lost her trail. Maybe you'll have better luck. This is where I lost it." Izzy , Daryl, and Rick were the only ones left following the trail.

Izzy and Rick flinched slightly as Daryl cut open the walker and started to stick his gloved hands in. Something told Izzy that Daryl would never use those gloves again.

"At least we know," Daryl and Rick stated as they threw the woodchuck skull on the ground. Izzy mouthed the words before following them.

The three walked in silence towards the group. Izzy and Daryl watched in silence as Rick tried to assure the poor mother.

"My baby girl got left in the woods."