Chapter 17 : "No More Secrets"

Start from the beginning

"They really are audacious enough to go against the rules of nature!" I said, amazement evident in my voice. As I was following her, I almost tripped but before I could hit the ground, I held onto the shelf. Unfortunately, it had a nail poking out that penetrated my skin.

"Ouch" Dark blood oozed out and a few drops came out of the wound.

"You okay?" Isabelle turned around after hearing me.

"Yeah. Just a scratch" I smiled, reassuringly, trying not to show the wound.

After sitting on the chairs across the table, I asked Isabelle to continue.

"So, when that didn't work, he just went for another member of the French Quarter. My cousin, Carolina Fernandez. He started an affair with her and when I found out about their affair it was already too late. She was pregnant. And guess what, her child really had the heart of a warrior. Luis and Ruby finally got what they wanted: the second ingredient they needed for the immortality spell"

"So, there's ingredients for the spell?"

"Yes. And the first ingredient was the blood from each coven's leader. The second was heart of a warrior. And the third, it was the artifact, Orbite d-équilibre" She said while leaning in the chair she sat on.

I was about to ask a question when Rosa entered the library with two cups of coffee. Thank goodness! I was craving coffee.

"Thankyou" I said while Rosa placed the coffee cups in front of us.

"You need anything else?" Rosa asked.

"No. You can leave" Isabelle smiled at Rosa who bowed and left without saying anything else.

"How did they got their hands on the artifact in the first place?"

"Through Carolina. She was supposed to shield the balance zone. And they targeted her on purpose, to kill two birds with one stone. You see, balance zone consists of three artifacts, one from each coven and the artifact he really wanted was of French Coven. Carolina exposed the zone to Luis, he stole the artifact and in return killed her and her child, leading to the disturbance of balance. That's why many supernaturals are born with defects" She said while taking a sip from her coffee.

"What defects?" I asked.

"They are born with altered abilities. Like they can't control their power sometimes. And sometimes they are born without it" Ohhh, I made an O shape with my mouth.

"My child, the reason why I wanted to talk to you is that you have to be careful from now on! You carry the blood that serves as a binding agent for powerful spells. And Jacinda was trying to hide the fact that you have the blood and- " She stopped and got lost in her thoughts.

"And?" I asked her, after taking the last sip of coffee from my cup.

"Nothing" She said but there was definitely something she was hiding.

"Please Isabelle, no more secrets" I said with almost pleading eyes since I didn't want to be surrounded by secrets anymore.

"Tell me. Whatever it is, I'll handle it" I placed my hand over her hand that was on the table and gave it a light squeeze.

"Luis is the one who killed Jacinda and Verlac" As soon as she said that, I wanted to find Luis and kill him with my bare hands. No more time for cries! I'm stronger than this.

"He wanted to know the person who has the blood but Jacinda refused to give him the name so he killed them both and took a guess that the person he's looking for might be you but we can't let Jacinda and Verlac die for nothing. When Jonathan died, you were born the very same year and they moved on from the grief of loss of their child because of you" I felt goosebumps forming all over my body.