•⏪rewind⏸press▶️play⏩•

Start from the beginning

Ellie stood on the spot, clutching her hair again, not sure what to do before dropping to her knees. She pressed rewind, then play, and leaned forward, twisting the volume as high as it would go.

The words Jessie mumbled were very, very clear at that level.

Ellie let out a laugh.

A relaxed laugh.

A laugh that made her jaw and head loosen up and her limbs soften.

She turned to Daniel to see him gazing at her in such a sweet way that Ellie's heart felt like it was singing an opera in her chest and the longer she stared at him, the louder the opera singer's heavenly vibrato let loose.

"I fuckin' love you!" she blurted out with a laugh.

Daniel raised his eyebrows, then his face softened. "You do?"

Shit.

Ellie let out another laugh, realisation dawning over her she did indeed love Daniel. "I-I ... yes. I do."

"You love me, even though you only want to be friends?" Daniel squinted his eyes at Ellie as his lips curled into a smile. "That's rather like going from a curt handshake to joining the Mile High Club in the space of two minutes."

Ellie popped the tape out of the stereo. "I'm up for that," she grinned, finding it hard to keep her eyes off him and concentrate on what she had to do. "And right now, I couldn't even give one shit you were checking out Jessie's bazookas."

Daniel stubbed the butt out on the fireplace bricks behind him and lay back on the carpet, his jumper riding up around his middle again, a curled, satisfied grin on his face. "I saw nothing, Devine." He reached out and tugged at the toggle on Ellie's hoodie, drawing her closer to him. "I only saw you."

Ellie's entire being melted as he gazed up at her, his cheeks flushed and his lips pink and pouty. Ellie felt that guitar solo rippling through her body again as they stared at each other. And all she could think about was how right it felt to be with him. There was only one Daniel Armstrong and one Ellie Devine, and it was obvious they were meant to be together.

"Do we get to snog now?" Daniel whispered.

No.

She needed to keep sane; focused. Slider was the most important thing to her right now. She had to call Brenin. Tell him about the demo tape. Tell Kim and Meg. Then tear Jessie down.

And then she could work out what this love thing with Daniel meant.

But Daniel.

Lying back, all floppy and smoochy and dreamy on her parent's dramatic floral carpet, looking like he was straight out of a music video. All hers, like a brand-new guitar—as delicious as that Rickenbacker she coveted—and she wanted to run her fingers all over him; explore every smooth inch of his body.

Slipping her hand onto his stomach—it was soft, warm and inviting under her palm—she leaned over and kissed him gently. Her senses heightened as he kissed her back with eager lips and she could have drifted off the floor with him and turned into a swirling, psychedelic mesh of colours and never come back down to earth.

Daniel slid his hands up her waist and inside her hoodie—

Something wet and weird licked the side of her face.

"Ugh, Jupi," she laughed, pushing the dog's head away from licking her. "So gross."

She really didn't have time for this. Daniel would be there for her. She was certain of that.

But if she didn't hurry, Kim might not be.

She pulled back from his caresses. "Can we pick this up after I've made sure Kim isn't gonna quit the band?"

Daniel creased his brow as Ellie stood. "You didn't tell me it was that bad."

Ellie glanced at him. "Yeah. There are lots of things I haven't told you. But later. We'll talk later. Right now I need to call Brenin."

"Do what you need to do. I'll be here," Daniel nodded, rubbing Jupiter's chin, who'd come in for a closer inspection. "Any of your dad's weed going spare?"

"In the kitchen drawer under the coffee filter paper," Ellie laughed and held her hand out to him; heaved him up from the floor.

Ellie wrapped her arms around his waist and nuzzled into him, smelling his fresh scent, feeling his firm warmth next to her, knowing she could come back to him later and enjoy all this ... and more. She dropped her hands and left the room, clutching the demo tape.

The answering machine flashed full of messages.

— "Mark from Port Lagan Chronicle here. Rumour has it Glue is in town and staying with you. Looking to hook up a time for an interview."

—"Heard Ellie and the girls are back. The school was wondering if they could do a brief interview for our alumni magazine."

—"Scottie here. Got that hydroponics book you're after, Nelson. Come round when you're ready."

—"It's Brenin. Ellie. Call me."

—"Ellie! It's Meg! I'm at the surf club. Kim's here, but she's leaving. I mean, she's leaving, like, really leaving. Like, catching a bus. Hurry! And I'm totally off my trolley!"

Ellie scratched her head.

Brenin had called at least six times.

Meg had called once.

But it was serious.

She called Brenin on the number he'd left.

Brenin sounded relieved on the phone and showed no hint he was still mad at Ellie. Ellie explained what she'd found, including the brief video with Jessie messing up the lyrics to 'No Absolution' and some of the vaguer things Ellie had come across in her room. Brenin told her to courier everything to their lawyer in Melbourne ASAP.

He also told her some major news that made her heart race and sent her thoughts soaring.

Then he'd hung the phone up with finality, saying he'd see her at the Surf Club soon.

At least now she could tell Kim she'd done all she could.

"We have to go." Ellie poked her head into the lounge where Daniel sprawled on the floor with his eyes closed, headphones on, smoking a huge spliff, Jupiter lying by his side.

When Ellie nudged his foot with hers, he opened his eyes and pushed the headphones off. "Hey, beautiful."

"We have to go to the club," Ellie jerked her thumb towards the doorway. "Now."

"Can this dog come with us?" Daniel's eyes were slow as he smiled up at her. "We're bonding. We're a team. One man and his dog." He stared into Jupiter's eyes and patted his head with great concentration. Jupiter loved the attention.

Damn.

That potent weed had gone straight to Daniel's head. Just when she needed him to be sensible, awake Daniel.

"No, Jupi can't come," Ellie laughed. "Go to the kitchen and eat something. I'll get my shoes. We have to run. Hurry up."