It was silent for the first few moments, until I had to break the ice. "How old are you, again?"

"Sixteen."

I brightened. "Wow. I've never had anyone close to my age before." I thought, than held up a finger. "Wait, that's a lie. There was this boy once, and I had a crush on him. Little did I know, It couldn't go any farther than that."

Tanya laughed. "How old were you?"

"Six." I answered curtly, but completely honestly.

She laughed harder. "I get that. A lot, actually."

I cocked my head. "Really?"

Tanya nodded, than stared at the ground. "That's actually how I got kicked out of my previous foster home."

I made an 'o' with my mouth.

She sighed, and finally met my eyes. "Wanna know what happened?"

"Only if you want to tell me." I said politely. I didn't want to burst into her personal life.

Tanya shrugged. "Nah, it's fine." She repositioned herself. "So, my foster parents were really good ones. And they were one step away from adopting me."

My eyes widened, but she held up a hand. "Yep. Anyway," she paused, "Their foster kid and I liked each other. And this went on for about a year, or two. It was just a stupid crush, nothing more. So I didn't think anything of it, ya know? But one day, he thought his foster parents were out. He kissed me, and they saw."

I couldn't hide my shock.

"And, as you know, it's against all rules to have any relationship with a foster brother or sister. His parents were worried their son would get in trouble, so they stopped my adoption and sent me off."

It was quite, signaling she was done. "That's ridiculous."

She shrugged. "I don't know. It doesn't matter. I'll be eighteen soon, and out of the system."

I half-smiled. "I understand your earn."

"So? Have any cool stories for me?" She mused, her eyes lighting up in amusement.

I shook my head. "You have no idea."

So I told her. How Hellen kicked me out, to having to stay at Lavenders, about Walter, meeting Nathaniel of course, our trips, the kidnapping, and my escapes with Nathaniel.
And by the end, we were laughing like best friends.

"That's crazy!" She squealed, and rolled over to high five me. "So much better than my story."

"Wait, wait. So you stole a rabbit?" She sputtered.

My smile was grim. "Yep. Nindsey, and he's actually at Lavenders house. I'll bring him by to meet you one day."

"Deal." She grinned. "So you're seeing him tonight?"

My stomach churned at the mention of my plans. "I'm meeting his parents."

She cringed. "Oo. Harsh."

I nodded. "I know. I'm freaking out."

"What time is he picking you up?"

"Six."

Tanya checked her phone, than gasped. "Um, hello? That's in an hour!"

I jumped up. "We sat here for two hours?"

"I guess so.." She said. "Do you want some help?"

I crossed the room, and checked a drawer. "Do you have any makeup?" I was a lost cause.