Chapter 22

Lavender stood up ahead, placing books into her locker. Her dark hair, was swept into a clean, tight ponytail.

I skipped to her. "Lavender!"

She looked surprised, as she warily said, "Lindsey."

I smiled. "Doesn't the sun look partially exquisite today?"

"Sure."

"Hmm." Life was good. Isn't it good?

"Are you okay?" She asked, as she shut her locker and tightened her grip on her books.

"Better than okay."

She thought, than came to a certain realization. "Ohh. It's about Nathaniel, isn't it?"

The mention of his name brought butterflies to my stomach. "Maybe."

Her eyes shot to my neck, than widened. "Did he give that to you?" Lavender squealed, earning a disapproving look from a nearby teacher.

I giggled. "Yes!"

She stuck out her lower lip. "That's so cute."

"Speaking of cute, how is Andre?"

Lavender grinned. "Amazing. I'm seeing him tonight." She paused. "You should come over."

"Won't you be gone?" I asked.

"Exactly. Your boyfriend will be there."

More time with Nathaniel? Given. "I'll be there."

~~~~~~~~

I knocked on Lavenders apartment, willing for someone to open it quicker. Lavender had texted me after school, telling me she had gone to meet Andre early, and to just go over.

Nathaniel suddenly opened the door, munching on a bag of Doritos. His face widened in a smile. "What are you doin' here?"

I smiled, and he placed a hand on my shoulder blade; guiding me inside. Nathaniel closed the door, and I looked around. "I missed this."

I sat cross legged on the couch, and watched Nathaniel put away his snack and wash his hands. He joined me on the couch, facing me. "You know Lavenders out, right?"

"I know." I don't know why I felt so nervous. It was Nathaniel.

"Well I'm glad you came. I wanted to talk to you about something."

I nodded, and waited.

"My parents called the other day."

My lips parted. "What'd they say?" The apartment seemed quieter today, only the hum of the fridge.

"They wanted me to come over. 'Make amends.'" He rolled his eyes, making air quotes with his fingers.

"Well, are you going?" I asked, switching my position and leaning against the couch.

He exhaled. "I think so."

I nodded slowly.

"But I want you to come with me." He finished, sneaking a glance at me.

My eyes widened. "Nathaniel, no. No way."

"Why not?" He whined.

"Because there's about a million and one possibilities for things to go wrong if I came." I sputtered.

He puckered out his lower lip, and blinked rapidly. Oh no, there it was. I was about to say yes. Because as I stared at the beautiful boy sitting in front of me, his blue beanie sagging, his green eyes a brilliant emerald, and his perfect face, I sighed dramatically and surrendered, "Okay, fine."