Chapter 24

I squinted my eyes, scribbling down my best guess for problem twenty nine.

"Lindsey! Can you come down here please?" Hellen yelled from the kitchen.

I sighed, putting down my mechanical pencil and climbing out of bed. Making my way downstairs, I stopped at the kitchen doorway. "Yes?"

Hellen seemed to struggle with a plastic shopping bag as she hoisted it onto the counter. "Where have you been lately?"

I shrugged. "Out."

She nodded, turning toward me. "Well, I just wanted to remind you of the annual adoption day coming up this weekend."

Adoption day is an event every three months, where possible adoptive parents who come to the foster house to "pick," out their adorable child. I was never chosen when I was younger. I had missed the last one, because I wasn't exactly living at the house. Now, hence my age, Hellen finds it sufficient that I just help set up; and direct happy adults to the designated room.

"That's this weekend?" I asked, bewildered.

Hellen looked at me. "Yes, and you promised you'd be there."

I sighed. There was no getting out of this one, but than; the most brilliant plan hit me.

~~~~~~~~

"No!" Nathaniel yelled, adding extra emphasis with his hands. "No, no and no. A thousand times no."

I stuck out my lower lip, and followed him into Lavenders living room. "Please? Hellen won't really let me be eligible for adopting-"

He reared around, a frown on his face. "What are you talking about?"

I parted my lips. Wasn't it obvious? "We'll, I am seventeen. A lot of parents don't want the struggle-"

"That's ridiculous." Nathaniel spit out, stepping closer to me. "You are going to be eligible to be adopted tomorrow."

I frowned. "Yeah, but I just lead the parents into the room and introduce them."

He waved a finger, dropping his bag of Doritos with more force intended. "Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna be there."

I grinned. "Really?"

He softly smiled. "If it means that you get the opportunity to become adopted, than of course."

I had the best boyfriend in the world.

~~~~~~~~

I adjusted my conservative white dress, and breathed in the small mirror. Running a hand through my hair, and half-smiled. I looked good.

Low knocking sounded against my door, and I looked up. "Lindsey, it's time. Parents are arriving."

Hellen.

I swallowed, and shook my hair out once more. "Okay, I'm ready." My stomach swirled as I stepped out into the hallway. I hadn't done this for two years.

Hellen smiled at my complection. "Wow. You look very pretty. The parents will love the enthusiasm from you when you introduce them to the kids."

I looked at her, expressionless. "I'm not introducing them. Today, I'm going to be in that room; so I can become adopted."

She seemed to take in my sudden change in word, and I stepped down the stairs.

Once I had reached the end, Mariella tugged at my dress. She smiled up at me, and motioned for me to pick her up. She was wearing a pink tutu. I did, and when she was sitting comfortably on my hip, she leaned into my ear and whispered, "Am I gonna get adopted today?"