Chapter 49

"I swear! Darby spilled my coffee all over himself!" He laughed, shaking his head and continuing to take small strides as we strode through Central Park.

"That's funny." I chuckled.

"Yeah, well, I didn't get to drink my coffee." Nathaniel muttered.

I sarcastically puckered my lip. "Poor you."

He smiled, revealing teeth. "So, how have things been?"

"With what?" I looked over the vacant park. We were reaching the area we once called ours.

"With everything. Tell me all about it."

I thoughtfully looked up into sky. "Well, I got into NYU that summer, and I was pretty scared to go."

I glanced at Nathaniel, who's attention I had in the palm of my hand. "The first couple months were awful."

"How so?" He asked, as we cut over a path onto a grassy area under low hanging trees. The lighting darkened around us; the shadows and the darkening sky contributed to the eery atmosphere.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I should've been used to the fact of living alone, because of all the Foster years. But the confinement was terrifying to me. So, I actually looked into applying for Columbia."

"Really?"

I nodded. "But, obviously I never went through with it. NYU became more comfortable with each passing month, and now I love it."

"Good." Was his reply. "I'm glad you're happy."

I half-smiled. "Yeah. I am. Are you happy with Karen?"

It was quiet, when I finally looked at him.

He was staring at the ground, a thought-consuming face absorbed in his expression. "I am. She's amazing."

I smiled. "Good. Are you planning on having children?"

Nathaniel shook his head. "Not now. Maybe in a few years, after college years are finished. But Karen wants them."

I laughed quietly to myself.

He looked up, smiling. "What?"

"I never thought of you to be a father." I laughed.

He lightly shoved my shoulder. "Trust me, I'm terrified for the day I hold a kid in my arms."

"You'll be fine." I shooed it away.

"Yeah, until I drop it."

A laugh escaped from my lips.

Easy silence fell over us, as we walked further into the bed of overhang trees. Light sprinkling of water began to tackle the leaves, but the trees protected us from Nature's occurrences.

"Lindsey." He suddenly said, stopping and clenching his fists as he turned to me.

I looked at him, "Yeah?"

"I really am sorry." A tortured look passed his face. "I never intended to hurt you as much as I did."

I swallowed, slight anger rising in my throat as I avoided his strong gaze. "Why did you do it?"

"I told you why."

I shook my head. "No. You didn't."

He took a breath, swallowing and looking as if he were sparing the moments of silence. "I heard Lucy talking to you about your future that day. She said you couldn't possibly continue to travel to New York to keep seeing me, and I started to understand her concern."

"So you broke up with me." I smirked angrily, shaking my head at the ground.

"Only because I wanted you to have the best possible future."

I bit my tongue to refrain the growing tears. "You were my future."

Nathaniel winced.

"That still doesn't explain why you didn't answer my calls. You just broke the connection between us-even Lavender."

"I went about it the wrong way." He lowered his head shamefully.

"And for that," I said lowly, "I will never forgive you."

"Lindsey-" he started.

"You left me!" I yelled, tears rushing down my face and a sob rising in my throat. "You left me."

"I know." Nathaniel nodded, licking his lips. "And I still haven't forgiven myself either."

"I called you for months, Nathaniel. Months. And you never answered. Do you know how much regret I had? I went over, and over in my head everything I must've done to make you end things with me. I even went to New York to find you." I said.

He looked up, suprised. "You came after me to New York?"

"Yes. And it was probably the stupidest thing I had ever done." I said, wiping away a tear.

"I loved you." He said, lowering his gaze to the ground.

The same feeling I had when he had first told me this, rolled in my stomach. "I know."

Nathaniel stepped closer, his gaze darting quickly to my lips, than back to me eyes. "I never stopped loving you."

I shuddered, more tears threatening to spill.

He raised a thumb to my cheek, wiping away a tear. "And I know you loved me too. Three words, eight letters."

I wasn't thinking about anything but him, and the eminent feelings I had been tucking away. I finally sobbed, and choked, "Nathaniel-"

We both lunged forward, our lips meeting in a powerful embrace. His hands wrapped around my cheeks, mine around his neck. The rain's sound seemed powerful in the distance, but all I could hear was my rapid heartbeat. All thoughts, conflicts, and memories faded away as we stood; kissing each other passionately in Central Park was the moment that tied all loose ends together. I pulled away suddenly, millimeters from his lips as I took a breath.

"I love you." I whispered. "I've always loved you. And I've never stopped."

A smile found its way through his face, as he leaned in again, kissing me.