19. We Find Out the Truth, In More Ways Than One

Start from the beginning

It didn't really surprise her.

People were arseholes.

They left the judgment pavilion and moved deeper into the Asphodel Fields. It got darker. The colours faded from their clothes. The crowds of chattering spirits began to thin.

She complained to Jackson that she wished they would just shut up. He looked at her and said he could hear anything.

It was only then that she realised it wasn't the spirits that were chattering.

It was something else.

Something else was whispering to Pez

The two demigods exchanged a wary glance.

After a few miles of walking, they began to hear a familiar screech in the distance. Looming on the horizon was a palace of glittering black obsidian. Above the parapets swirled three dark batlike creatures: The Furies. Percy got the feeling they were waiting for the group.

"I suppose it's too late to turn back," Grover said wistfully.

"We'll be okay." Percy tried to sound confident.

"Maybe we should search some of the other places first," Grover suggested. "Like, Elysium, for instance . . ."

"Come on, goat boy." Annabeth grabbed his arm.

Grover yelped. His sneakers sprouted wings and his legs shot forward, pulling him away from Annabeth. He landed flat on his back in the grass.

Pez narrowed her eyes. The whispering grew louder.

"Grover," Annabeth chided. "Stop messing around."

"But I didn't-"

He yelped again. His shoes were flapping like crazy now. They levitated off the ground and started dragging him away from them.

"Maia!" he yelled, but the magic word seemed to have no effect. "Maia, already! Nine-one-one! Help!"

Percy got over being stunned and made a grab for Grover's hand, but too late. He was picking up speed, skidding downhill like a bobsled.

They ran after him.

Annabeth shouted, "Untie the shoes!"

It was a smart idea, but Percy guessed it wasn't so easy when the shoes are pulling him along feetfirst at full speed. Grover tried to sit up, but he couldn't get close to the laces.

They kept after him, trying to keep him in sight as he ripped between the legs of spirits who chattered at him in annoyance.

Percy was sure Grover was going to barrel straight through the gates of Hades's palace, but his shoes veered sharply to the right and dragged him in the opposite direction.

The slope got steeper. Grover picked up speed. He, Annabeth and Pez had to sprint to keep up. The cavern walls narrowed on either side, and Percy realised they'd entered some kind of side tunnel. No black grass or trees now, just rock underfoot, and the dim light of the stalactites above.

"Grover!" he yelled, his voice echoing. "Hold on to something!"

"What?" he yelled back.

He was grabbing at gravel, but there was nothing big enough to slow him down.

The tunnel got darker and colder. The hairs on Pez's arms bristled. It smelled evil down here. It made her think of things she shouldn't even know about – blood spilled on an ancient stone altar, the foul breath of a murderer.