We packed up in the driveway, and I couldn't help but grin as I watched Simon argue with the big, black chicken while he loaded it into his trailer. Despite his big talk, no chookies had been harmed on our watch.

Bailey silently loaded their bike trailer, and I watched as Nev wandered over. I'd slept next to Bailey in the big bed last night, and Nev had taken my place on the couch. At my suggestion, she hadn't tried to talk to Bailey, but now she spoke, awkward and hesitant. "Bee... Please talk to me."

Bailey didn't answer, clipping on their helmet and throwing their leg over the bike.

"Bailey, please? I'm sorry, okay? But you can't just shut me out!"

Oh yes, they could. I knew Bailey well enough; they were more than capable of ignoring the people who hurt them. It was how they'd survived after the rejection from their entire family.

Bailey called out to everyone else. "Come on, people. Let's go."

We pushed off, leaving the safety of the farmhouse behind. In comparison, the road loomed menacing and unending before us.

Our rhythm was steady: ride for a few hours, stop and snack, ride again, stop for lunch, ride again, snack, more riding. Except for me. I didn't snack or lunch. The dizziness and fatigue were part of me now, an endless ache that ebbed and flowed but never dissipated.

"We'll make Albury/Wodonga today," said Simon, studying the maps at lunch. "We're well over halfway to Melbourne now."

"Al-bry-woo-don-ga?" asked Mischa. "That's a weird name."

"It's two names," I explained. "It's a border town, so one side is in Victoria, and the other side is New South Wales."

"Are we camping in town?" asked Nev.

"Maybe. There should be a few hotels here – maybe they're still running so we won't have to camp out tonight." Rueben's eyes caught mine, and instantly I knew we were thinking about the same thing: white hotel sheets and sound-proof rooms.

The road to Albury sloped downwards in an easy, smooth arc. Maybe that's why I fell; because I was relaxed and rolling rather than straining in concentration. All I know is that one minute I was cruising along, dreaming of my newly slimmed thighs and Rueben's mouth on mine, then a wave of dizziness sucked me up out of my body, like a UFO abducting a cow. My fingers slipped on the handle bars, and I had no control as my bike wobbled beneath me. All of my muscles refused to respond, bereft of energy, and I had plenty of time to watch the ground rush towards me and strike me in the face. Then, blissful blackness.

It's dark, because he says he likes it better that way. He doesn't have to see me, see my flaws. His thrusts are hard, rough, and I try to make noises like I'm enjoying this. Because if I don't enjoy it, that's my fault. I know that.

And I do enjoy it, in a fashion. I enjoy being close to him, sharing this with him, bringing him pleasure. I don't need an orgasm. I just need him.

He finishes, rolls off. I drop an arm over him, rubbing his chest.

"You came, right?"

I nod. I know how to answer this.

"Good. Every girl I've ever been with always comes during sex. It's weird when you don't."

My face nestles into his armpit, breathing his scent. I know I'm weird. When all the other girls can instantly orgasm, I need time and work. I don't want him to feel bad, so I make the right sounds and always say I came. "Do you want me to take care of the condom?"