TWENTY SEVEN

CHAPTER 

TWENTY  SEVEN

ADELAIDE

As the moon rounded and left my half of the earth and the sun took its place, I remained awake. Too many thoughts swarmed by head for my body to relax and rest. I tried to piece together the perfect line of questions for the painful phone call I would have to make the next day. Could I guess what the responses to my questions would be? There was no telling how the interrogation would go. And if I was wrong... would I do more harm than good?

Leo never woke once, but when his alarm went off, I did my best to act as if I had woken up at the same time, not that I hadn't once even considered sleeping.

"Sorry, gorgeous," Leo murmured to me, rolling over to kiss the corner of my mouth. "Go on back to sleep."

I nodded softly. "When will you be back?" I whispered.

"Lunch, I hope. I'll keep you updated."

I gave him a gentle smile. Leo gazed at me for several seconds without saying a single word. I let out a quiet giggle. "What?"

"I just don't deserve you, but I'm so happy you're mine."

If I wasn't already feeling guilty about what I was about to do, I was then.

Once Leo left, I immediately moved into action. If I waited any longer, my anxiety and nerves would get the best of me and I wouldn't go through with it. But I had to. Because no one else was chasing this lead. If it would protect one single person, I would do this.

Dialing the number, I inhaled sharply before hitting the green call button. Each ring felt like an eternity and the pause between rings even longer. Just as my stomach was about to settle on the fact that he wouldn't answer, the line clicked on.

"Alpha Harrison," he greeted.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, at a sudden loss for words. "This is Alpha Harrison. Who is this?" Harrison greeted.

"Harrison," I choked out.

He made a noise and I could hear some rustling on the other side of the phone, almost as if he was moving somewhere. "Adelaide. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I just... I have to ask you about some things."

Harrison hummed. "You know, it's funny. I just got off the phone with your parents ten minutes ago. They heard about those two people who were murdered in your pack. They wanted to make sure that you were alright."

The thought of my parents made me feel a little sick. The hurt from their actions had almost completely healed, but Harrison bringing it up somehow made it fester. "What did you tell them?"

"I hadn't heard from you, but I was sure that if you were harmed, they would have been notified. How have you been handling that, by the way? Is Leo taking care of you? I was told you were the one that found the two. I can't imagine what you saw, you poor thing."

"Leo is taking great care of me," I said a little more pointedly than I meant to.

He let out a short, tense laugh. "So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about, sweetheart?"

"Did you do it?"

Harrison was quiet on the other end of the phone, but somehow I could picture a smug smirk on his face. "Did I do what, beautiful girl?"

"Harrison, don't," I warned. "Don't call me those things. You're married and have a pup on the way."

He sighed. "I can't help it. You're my mate."

"No, I'm not. Maybe I was once, but I'm not now. Stop distracting me. Were you involved in any way with what happened here?" I all but hissed.

Harrison chuckled again, which seemed to be a strange response. Especially considering I was basically accusing him of murdering two people. "What makes you think I would do such a thing, Adelaide?"

"You would do it to get back at Leo and I."

"Hm."

I was hoping when I asked him about this, he would get angry. I would rather his anger to come through at such an accusation but for the man to have such a careless response to my dark line of questioning frightened me even more. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end when he remained silent, unbothered.

"I wonder what your beloved Leo would think of you calling me so early in the morning," Harrison quizzed. "What would the fates think of you betraying your mate?"

My fists clenched. "St-stop changing the subject. You're trying to upset me."

He let out a sharp, guttural growl. "I am trying to make you see, Adelaide. Maybe I did have that boy and girl ripped apart. Perhaps I didn't. Do you truly think that I am the only one that has motive to hurt that bastard's pack?"

Every alpha had enemies, sure. But the attack was more than just rivalry. That was an act meant to disrupt the whole pack's peace. "What would you do if I told you that I hired someone to kill them for me?" Harrison whispered dangerously.

"Did you?"

"What would I have to gain from this, Addie? To have you see such horrible images? Do you think that is what I want for my mate?"

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. "I don't know."

He laughed lightly. "My angel, perhaps you should leave the investigating to the grown ups. I think you're in a little your head, don't you?" Now I found myself growling in response. "Let me guess... Alpha Leo had a meeting and you were there. You voiced your opinions. No one addressed them. So you're attempting to take matters into your own hands."

My silence was answer enough. I was trembling in anger. I wish I had confronted him in person so I could sink my teeth into his flesh for talking down to me in such a way. "Just as I suspected. In the future, Adelaide, I would listen to your superiors and let the men do their jobs. And I wouldn't take such serious accusations to another Alpha."

"I know you were involved, Harrison. And I-I don't know how, but I'll-"

"Who will take your side?"

"Leo, of course. He-"

"We'll see."