16. Getaway Car

Getaway Car by Taylor Swift

It was the best of times, the worst of crimes

I struck a match and blew your mind

But I didn't mean it

And you didn't see it

Fayth

Kayla...I'm sorry, but-but I can't tell you yet. I hope you can understand me...

<flashback>

Kyle looks at me. His eyes are filled with rage, revenge, and I know that this is not the brother I have known for the most part of my life.

We think we know someone, but the truth is that we only know the version of them that they choose to show us. A quote that he told me, long ago, back when our world was less chaotic.

Hey, fayth, are you ready for it?

Ready for what?

Damn it, Fayth, you know what I'm talking about. You know we've planned this out so carefully--we can't afford any mistakes. Kyle smiles at me, and I try to hold back a shiver which travels down my spine. When did he ever become like this?

I think it's all my fault. As usual.

But I still don't know what I've done wrong.

Kyle?

He smiles. Come on.

Kyle? Kyle. What's going on?

He faces me.

They are going to pay for every time they hit us, every time they hurt us, every time they force us to be something we don't want to be, every time they left us lonely for some random party. I won't let them go so easily.

We'll be fine, he concludes. I'll take care of it.. Everything. I promise.

I don't know whether he'll be able to keep this promise.

---

We finish burying the last of what used to be our parents, and get up. My eyes sting, but there's no going back anymore. There's no bringing back dead people.

I ran through the forest, back to the house, into the kitchen to wash my hands, and slip the knife in my hands into the rack. I'msorryI'msorryI'msorry.

But sometimes it's just easier to please people even if you don't want to do something.

When I get back to the living room, Kyle tells me he's already called the police.

I can pretend. Anyway, I've had so much practice.

Yep. Mum and Dad--went missing.