18. Elianna's Gift

Start from the beginning

Elianna did not know when she lost consciousness, but she woke up in a foreign place. She looked around and there was no end in this space. The ground reflected the sky and everything felt surreal. Behind her, an unfamiliar voice sounded out to her, "Elianna.

The child quickly turned around and saw small light orbs merging together to form a big mass. The light shone blindingly, forcing her to cover her already squinting eyes with her hand. Elianna's throat hurts and when she tried to make a sound, it felt like pushing her throat against sandpaper but she tried, "Who's there?" 

"Nine represents the gifts of spirits. I am here to grant you a gift, my blessed child." 

It was only at this mention that Elianna realised that she had turned nine, and two days passed since the whole incident happened. Since growing up in Heather Palace, she hadn't wished for anything more than what she already had. Everyone around her was her gift, her blessing and her stroke of luck in her unfortunate circumstances. Just when she was lost in her grief, the mass of light ahead of her turned into a beautiful woman. Her golden hair shone magnificently while her eyes glowed in white. The child tipped her head up to glance towards the woman clad in a white peplos which was adorned with ornate gold accessories that clinked lightly when she moved. Her hand reached towards Elianna, opening her palm to present a light orb in front of her. 

"My child, you have suffered through your life. I will grant you the gift of light. May the light grant you protection."

Elianna stared towards the brilliant orb that was held above the Goddess' palm. Her heart clenched at how the gift of light shone with clarity and luminosity and she frowned. Many questions surfaced within her as she asked herself again and again. 

How can she accept the gift of light? Her soul was already tainted by darkness and the hollowness felt so overwhelming. Receiving the gift of light now felt like a mockery. No matter how much light she holds now, she cannot replace the fact that the light of her life was gone. They were gone. The people she loved were all gone.

Holding onto the Goddess' fingers, the child closed her palm and the light disappeared. She shook her head and refused her gift, "I cannot accept the gift of light." 

The Goddess opened her palm again. This time, she presented her a hollow orb. It was transparent and without any medium that filled it. Like a blank canvas, the Goddess waited for her to receive it. She said, "May your heart's desire manifest itself through the gift of spirits.

She clenched her fists and concentrated on the empty orb. Dark shadows appeared and filled the hollow sphere, a glow of amber swirled in the dark before reaching to her like a pair of hands. The darkness forced their way into her chest and grew inside of her. A sudden surge of power pulsed within and mixed with her magic energy — she became one with the darkness

"My blessed child, always remember that all gifts had their consequences and power comes with a price. Here, I give you my blessing and may you find solace and strength within the darkness you chose," The Goddess leaned close to her and kissed her forehead. 

Feeling slightly dizzy and light-headed, the blinding lights shone in front of her and forced her eyes closed once again. It took a while before she could open her eyes but when she did, she was back in her room. Elianna dropped her head and glanced down at her hands, focusing on the darkness that she felt deep within her. Shadows crept from her hands down along the bed and to the ground, drenching the entire space surrounding her in their pitch darkness.  

Just before darkness creeps its way out of her room, she balled her hands into fists. With that, the shadows disappeared in an instant.

My gift.

━━━━━━━━━━

Thethia: Royal Palace, the King's Library

• King of Thethia, Wynston •

"What do we do now?" Wynston seethed.

"It is not possible to do anything since the girl is gone," The Priest replied. "We can only wait to see if she is dead or alive. If alive, the ritual can still be done on the next nine of age."

"It is all because of her." he slammed the table hard. Anger and hatred grew when he thought about that wench who took everything away from him. His plan for a strong heir and his wife, they were all gone because of her. 

Dead or alive, Wynston swore to find her. He believed that Nadia had not killed the child, she must've done something behind his back, rescuing and hiding the child somewhere where he couldn't find. Yet, the entire land of Thethia belonged to him and his naive wife think that she could hide her within his land of rule without him finding out? How absurd. 

Then, a Temple Keeper rushed towards the Priest and whispered in his ears. The Priest's face lit up at the news. "Your Majesty, please do not worry. A message has arrived that Princess Elizabeth had been gifted with light."

"Gift of light, my Elizabeth?" Wynston opened his eyes in disbelief. 

For a child to be gifted control over a certain element is dangerous and therefore rare. To be gifted light meant that Elizabeth would hold immense power. At the thought of that, he laughed proudly and loudly. 

elemental gifts referred to fire, water, air, earth, light and darkness.

there are other gifts but elemental gifts are stronger and
more powerful since they're elements from nature.

there are other gifts but elemental gifts are stronger and more powerful since they're elements from nature