Chapter Forty-Eight- The Snitch

Start from the beginning

"Oh shut up you moron, and just follow me." Sirius chastised fondly, grabbing James' elbow and tugging him along. There was a long silence, James' patience wearing thinner and thinner.

"Sirius, if this is just some sort of--" James stopped his complaint as Sirius shoved him into the Quidditch field. The massive oval expanded about five hundred feet total and had some conjured tables in the middle with junk food and drinks stacked on them. Floating balloons hovered above and gathered around the tables was over half of the Gryffindor house who as soon as they saw James erupted into shouts of "Happy Birthday!"

Sirius was the best friend ever. Well, Remus and Peter too, but mostly Sirius. The whole having a party on the Quidditch pitch was his bloody brilliant idea! An idea James loved wholeheartedly. They had cake and the birthday boy opened his presents, Sirius having helped Remus pick something out besides a bloody book and helping him pay for it. Peter whisked away the presents James received that weren't altogether allowed in Hogwarts to much laughter and a few dirty looks from Kingsley and Lily. Both looked like they wanted to quickly collect the joke products, hence Peter hiding..

Then they played all sorts of flying games and dares. The Quidditch team held scrimmages while other students watched. The older and more experienced players obviously let James play. But as an added bonus, they also let a few other first years, Sirius included, who could keep up participate. It was a wonderful time, and James' smile widened as he earned another goal for the gold team to the mock boos from the maroon team.

"Blimey, I reckon we stand a chance next year with him!" Someone from the crowd shouted, to which James' chest puffed proudly.

By the time lunch came around they were all starving. The group of sweaty Gryffindors all ate six to seven sandwiches courtesy of the house-elves. Even Remus, who had also been flying once the scrimmages dissolved into less competitive games, seemed to be having a good time as he ate some sandwiches.

It made Sirius wish that they had actually thrown a party for Remus, but Peter assured him that next year they would. Peter also made some comments about how unfair it was that his birthday was over the summer, but Sirius ignored him. Instead, he rushed over to the man of the hour and gave James a big hug.

"Am I the best friend ever or what?" Sirius prodded, hanging off his friend happily.

"Hahaha, the best the best! You really are. Now get off me, you old oaf." James laughed, all homesickness blown far away from his mind. "How did you manage such a thing anyway? I can't imagine Professor McGonnagal is happy."

"Oh, we let the older students handle her." Sirius laughed. With perfect timing, Patricia came over holding up her glass to cheer James. He followed suit, grinning so much he nearly spilled his drink as he took a sip.

"So the older students got permission? You're amazing, Patricia," James remarked struck with his typical awe around their mentor in mischief, who gave a particularly devious grin in response.

"Well, I wouldn't say 'permission' per se. But Kingsley looked through the rules and nowhere does it say that the whole of Gryffindor house couldn't book the Quidditch pitch as long as the whole team agreed. And of course, this special 'practice' was mandatory for the team so they all had no choice but to agree," Patricia explained proudly.

James beamed and hugged her, then ran off to go thank Kingsley.

"Sirius, our little friend is fading away again," Patricia muttered, trying to pass her job off to him, a job Remus didn't know about. A job that consisted of Lily, Sirius, Dorcas, and Peter to tag team and make sure Remus didn't leave the party. There was no way any of them were about to let that happen. Sirius was terrified he'd sneak off, a very Remus thing to do, and something he had already tried several times despite admitting to having fun. And they all knew what happened last time Remus had left a party early.