23: Crossing Over

Luca crashed through the side door to the royal gardens. His eyes darted from side to side to each of the garden paths before choosing the hedge maze Ian regularly brought his companions. The twinkling outdoor lights lit up the aisles, but not the murky fear that clouded Luca's mind. His quick steps halted as he rounded the corner. Gemma laid across the ground, unconscious, with the straps of her dress ripped and Ian kneeling beside her. In a few short strides, Luca had his cousin by the neck of his collar, throwing him off to the side.

"What the fuck, Ian?" Luca demanded. He turned to see a bystander with spikey green hair flee the scene.

Ian picked himself up, brushing the dirt off his trousers. A sizzling fire danced along his fingertips. "This is none of your concern."

"Your mother assigned her to me."

"I didn't know this was your castaway," Ian scoffed.

"Zia would have you castrated if she knew what you were about to do."

"Take a sit," Ian scoffed again. " I was just playing a prank on Greyson."

"You did all of this just because he mentors her?"

Luca gaped, baffled at the man he thought he knew. Arrogant, self-centered, and selfish, yes, but Luca would never have before described his cousin as heinous. Luca spent the majority of his childhood brooding, but often took breaks to follow his fun-loving, older cousin around, often wishing he was more like Ian.

"I thought you were her mentor. Christ, how many mentors does one transfer need?"

"As many as you want when you are a Tier 1."

Luca deflected Ian's fireball assault, catching the second one and extinguishing it in his hand.

"Your father pulled strings to get you to Tier 1," Ian spat. "People just pity you because your sister's dead."

Luca charged Ian. His shoulder made direct impact into his chest, sending both men tumbling to the ground. Luca landed two solid punches before Ian kicked Luca to the side and rolled out from underneath. Ian jumped to his feet, wiping the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. "Ah, il bambino finally grows up."

The clear skies crackled with thunder as the electricity raced through Luca's body, waiting to strike.

"Do it. Hit me," Ian dared, bracing for impact.

Gemma's friends emerged from the party, capturing Luca's attention. Ian seized his opportunity to escape and fired off into the sky like a cannon.

Luca cursed, looking back to Beka who acted as a barrier between him and Daniel. He appreciated the gesture, despite knowing she was as defenseless to mental attacks as he was. Madison rushed past them to Gemma's side, shaking her. She remained unconscious.

"What happened?" Daniel demanded. "Where did your fanger cousin fly off to?"

"Nothing happened," Luca replied honestly. "I saw Ian and that weird girl leave with Gemma. I didn't like the way she was staggering so I followed."

"What girl?"

"I don't know, she had green hair and lots of piercings."

"Tamara," Beka nodded, "I know her."

"What are we going to do? We can't carry her out," Madison frowned, bringing the attention back to Gemma.

"I can carry her out," Jared grinned, flexing his biceps.

"Take a sit," Beka said. "I know you can but Madison's right. It would cause a scene. There is no doubt paparazzi outside these gates just waiting for a scandal."