Knife edge nerves

Feliciano hated getting up. He scrunched up his eyes in protest at the bright light. He didn't want to go to school; he wanted to go back to sleep then spend the day lazing in the sun. But, any second now, his brothers would start talking like they were on opposite ends of the house, despite being meters away, and sleep would be impossible.

He was surprised he couldn't already hear them.

Had he woken up early, for once? Lovino had a few choice words for when that happened.

Now that he thought about it, he was pretty uncomfortable. And damp.

He bolted up, fear trickling over him like the mystery liquid. He'd wet the bed! This was so unfair! He hadn't wet the bed in at least 4 years, and now, of all nights, when he was sharing a bed and everything-

Oh.

He pulled back the covers.

Ludwig had wet the bed.

Feliciano didn't know what to say. He didn't want to be mad, not after seeing the state Ludwig had been in, and this wouldn't help how he was feeling. He hadn't said a word to anyone, jumped at every little thing, didn't want anyone touching him. Even now, he was on the edge of the bed, up against the wall, shaking in his sleep, brow furrowed. Every time Feliciano had brushed against him in his sleep, he'd flinched.

And now this.

He gently shook him awake.

"Hey, Ludwig?" For once in his life, he kept his voice a whisper. "You've had an accident; we need to get you cleaned up."

Ludwig blinked in confusion, then it hit him. He scrambled up to the headboard, away from the puddle, curled up on himself, and maybe sobbed. Maybe he held actual tears back, but all Feliciano could see was a pair of shaking shoulders.

"Hey, hey it's okay, friendo," Feliciano patted his back, "it happens. It's okay. We'll get your stuff washed and get some breakfast and forget all about it, sound good?" He gave Ludwig a bright smile, and Ludwig nodded miserably in return.

"No one will ever know." Feliciano got him up and stripped the streets, sneaking out into the hall. Luckily, his brothers, and the twins, were heavy sleepers. They passed the cupboard where Angelique slept under the boiler, and snuck into the bathroom.

"It's a good thing everyone else is as lazy as I am; lots of privacy." He smiled as he loaded the washing machine. Ludwig didn't respond, tears streaming down his face that he tried to wipe away.

"Nothing to be ashamed of, but you might need to strip."

Ludwig didn't look too happy about that.

"I need to wash the pyjamas." Feliciano took his off. "We have towels if you want," he added, when Ludwig still hadn't made any move to strip.

"You get your clothes in there, I'll fetch a change for you."

Ludwig took his soiled pyjamas off and hid behind the shower curtain, a pair of towels wrapped around him.

"Oh good idea!" Chirped Feliciano the moment he came back. "Get showered. I got you a shorts and shirt." No reply. He turned on the machine. "I'll get started on breakfast."

Lovino dipped his sore feet into the river water. Fuck the heat. Actually, that was a lie. He loved the heat and the sun, but he hated walking on metal. Who decided the city was supposed to be built out of metal? His shoes stopped him from blistering, but it was still like walking on coal.

"So how's life with the Bonnefoys?" asked Isabel.

"Awful. Crowded. Smelly." Replied Lovino, "the twins are alright though."