5. The Devil In His Corner

Date: Oct. 5th.
Prompt: Church
Ship: Prinxiety

"Virgil, hurry up!" A young man not much older than 18 ran through the chaos of the town as his boyfriend struggled to keep up. They were just trying to survive the madness. The world was devoid of all sense of safety.

"Roman, I... I can't." Roman spun around to find his boyfriend stumbling to his knees. He ran, trying to help him up, the desperation of the moment coming out in spades.

"Virgil, baby, please? It's not that much farther." Virgil coughed as his hand held his side, pain was written all over his features.

"I-I can't Roman." He cried out as Roman tried to help him up only to stumble forward. "Please, j-just go on w-without me." Roman frowned hearing the sounds of death approaching fast. He sighed looking the way they were heading with determination in his eyes. "Roman, please before it's too late."

"I am not leaving you, Virgil." Roman grounded himself as he pulled Virgil in and lifted him up against his chest like a sickly child. Virgil cried in pain clutching Roman's shirt tightly as Roman took off running.

This is just how life is now. A few years ago all either one cared about was surviving high school. Now... Now it was monsters. Vampire/Demon/zombie creatures... Nobody really knows what they are. Just that they showed up and turned the whole world into chaos.

Roman could hear the oncoming monster storm coming right for them and frowned. Roman survived these years learning. You had to know things or else you would get torn into shreds or worse. By the screeches surrounding him, he knew he was in trouble.

The vampri... Vampire-like creatures that feed off flesh like zombies. They're fast and vicious. Only stopping the chase when their target is dead or on holy ground. A few tricks Roman has learned during his time... The Vampri are the only monsters that are totally repelled by holy signs. Crosses, churches, symbols of faith... it doesn't matter the religion, they are repulsed by the hope it brings. Don't get bit... It's plain and simple. Rarely anyone ever survives an outright attack but those that do are cursed. It's confusing at how many Vampri there are considering the rarity they ever leave anything behind to turn but Roman's experienced first hand what happens to a person after they're bitten. 

Ghouls are more like zombies than anything else. Slow... but very strong. These walking corpses come out of the woodwork seemingly out of nowhere. There silent and their dead eyes are white and pasty. These guys are fooled by scent. Actually no. Saying they're fool would imply they are stupid enough to fall for it. They aren't. They're smart, they're just picky. If you smell sick or dead they won't touch you. That or you're a monster... The vampri will attack anything and everything in its quest to satiate its unquenchable hunger, but ghouls will ignore the Vampri totally. They're only interested in mortals. Holy signs don't work at all with these guys so you have to plan ahead. Nobody knows how they're made just that that there are varying degrees of how bad a ghoul they can be. Some are more human than anything, while others... others are no different than the rotting corpses they leave behind. 

Finally, the Devils... There aren't many, if at all. In all honesty, Devils are just myths. No one ever sees any. No one who 'does' survives. There are rumors and that's it. Rumors that holy signs might work with them too. Or that they leave sigils where they turn up. There's a rumor they don't eat the corpse at all only the soul. Some say they devour the heart. There are so many rumors but without any proof, there is nothing to really go on.

One time Roman met a man who said he actually met a Devil. He told Roman if he ever crossed paths with one it's better to befriend them than anything. They're called Devil for a reason, the man had said, but Roman only rolled his eyes.