Chapter 2

"You can't do that!"

"I can! They've outdone it this time! I won't tolerate such inhumane experiment!"

"This is Mr. Ton we're talking about! If we go against him, he won't show any mercy to our household!"

Harley could hear his parents argue as he passes by the hallway. Their argument has gone worse and it's becoming more and more intolerable.

He was about to leave but he heard a slap which froze him in place. He wished his father could not have hurt his mother but he felt an indescribable fury when he entered the wide room of his parents.

Mrs. Vance was on the floor, holding her right red cheek with teary eyes. Harley clenched his fist as he walks towards his mother. He helped her get up and he could see the apologetic look on her face.

"Harley, this is between us. Step out of this room immediately," Mr. Vance demanded which only fueled the young boy's rage. He faced his father with disgust.

"You may be the head of the Vance household but you are a husband first to mother! Laying a hand on her is so low of you and you call yourself a Vance! Don't joke with me!" he exclaimed.

"No!" Mrs. Vance's voice echoed in the wide room as she hugs her dearest son from behind. She faced her husband with tears falling down on her eyes.

"He is your son, for Pete's sake!" She yelled. She tightened her hug on him and she could feel the dark aura starting to come from Harley.

"You have to become a strong man to protect those around you. Harley, you're the next head of this household! You ought to prioritize the safety of the majority over the minority!" Mr. Vance lectured with his stern and hoarse voice.

With gritted teeth, Harley got out from his mother's grasp and faced his father.

"I'd never want to take over your place if I'd become someone as low and irrational as you! I'm better off living along the streets rather than to rule over with a trashy philosophy such as yours!" he snarled before running off.

Harley went to the academy feeling pissed off. And on his way, he saw Lolita, Chang'e and Harith sneaking out.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked which startled the three.

"Yes, I needed help in keeping the kids at bay," they heard Lunox from the hallway.

Lolita grabbed Harley's coat and forced him to hide on the bush. Before he could say a word, the blond girl covered his mouth with her hand.

"You better shut up, genius," she sneered.

Lunox and the new teacher  passed by without noticing their presence. The three managed to relax as Lolita lets go of the genius mage.

"Why are we hiding?" he asked.

"Ms. Lunox has always warned us of not going deep into Enchanted Forest. Nana and Harith came from there yet they have no recollection of what happened to their home," Lolita stated.

"And you want to see it?" Harley guessed.

Lolita's eyes lit up. The corners of her mouth curved for a smile as she pats his shoulder.

"You've got it right. The name itself is so tempting, it might be more magical than the city itself. We might be able to find more Nana and Harith in there!" she excitedly replied.

"And it would be a great adventure!" Chang'e added in excitement. Harley was a bit surprised with the black-haired girl's action for she is usually timid. "You can tag along."

Harley thought for a while. Currently, going home would definitely be the worst idea ever. He might exchange magic spells with his father but before he could say anything, a pink-haired girl jumped on top of him, knocking him out.

"Found ya!" Nana squeaked happily. The Leonin noticed the others and looked at Harley.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Hey, Nana," Harith called out seriously. "You said you have no idea what Enchanted Forest looks like. Aren't you curious of what our home looks like?"

Nana kept quiet for a while as she stares at the annoyed face of Harley.

"It seems Harley is going there so I want to tag along," she said.

"So what are we waiting for?! Hurry up before Ms. Lunox finds us!" Lolita wheezed as she crawled down at the hole on the wall.

The others followed through but Harley stopped Nana.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked. "There must be some reason as to why your memories of your home are erased. Going back there might bring your memories back."

"Is that wrong?" Nana asked instead of answering his question. "I want to see where I came from.

"What I mean is that, what if going there triggers a tragic and traumatic past?" he explained.

"Hey! You coming or not?!" Harith asked impatiently as he pokes his head on the hole.

"We're coming, cat," Harley replied irritably. Harith clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"Then, hurry up!"

"Even if it's something tragic, you'd be there so I am assured that I'll be alright," Nana said with a smile. "Let's go, let us not keep them waiting."

Nana made her way out, leaving Harley blushing as red as a tomato.

"What a cunning, cat," he muttered to himself before following the others.

At the other side of the wall is the street going to the Vance household. Harley stared at the street and could see a portion of their house. He clenched his fists as the scenes of what happened in his parents' room came flashing back in his mind. He turned his back and followed his classmates.

"I'll never become the next head," he thought as they ran through the crowded streets of the city.

As they reach the humungous gates of the city, they stopped and gathered around.

"How can we get pass through the guards?" Nana asked. "Knowing that we're underaged, they won't allow us to leave the city."

Harley knocked her head with his fist which earned him a hiss from the Leonin.

"You must've forgotten that you're with the genius mage of Lion Academy," he stated as he stood up straight and looked at the guards. "This is just a piece of cake."

"Go for it, Harley!" Lolita cheered as they see him walk towards the gates.

"Here and now
I evoke the elemental force of air
The winds of intellect and imagination,
Swirling source of light, breath and life.
I seek the open sky within myself,
That I might breathe deep of freedom,
Ideas, sounds and space.
I call you forth to hide away
All that accumulates on seen places,
And to flaunt your beauty in the world.
Wind and feather, storm and leaf,
Mist, I call thee hence."

Harley chanted as as he finishes his spell, the wind grew strong, blowing hard.

The others followed Harley as the mist started to dawn upon the place. The place grew cold and misty.

"Now," Harley signaled the others and they swiftly ran past through the gates and managed to go out of the city unnoticed.

"That will buy us more time, let's hurry," Harley said and they ran towards the woods at a faster pace.

Lolita slumped on a rock when they were assured they got away safely.

"That was tiring," she muttered.

"H-Harley!" Chang'e stuttered. "Your magic is really amazing."

Her cheeks grew slightly red as she complimented him.

"Thanks," Harley replied. Harith narrowed his eyes on him as Nana jumped behind him and ruffled his hair.