When The Past Comes Knocking-Part I

French Quarter Yard

3rd POV

Marcel comes down the stairs into the courtyard with a bottle of bourbon in his hand. Diego sees him enter and approaches him as Marcel walks over to sit down at a table. "Hey, Marcel, maybe you know what's going on. Klaus ordered us to meet here, and now he's a no-show."

Marcel shrugs uninterested. "What do you want from me? It's a new regime. Get used to it."

Klaus enters the room with Thierry and makes an announcement, his voice booming over everyone. "Dearest brethren, your attention, please. No doubt, you're all surprised to see Thierry Vanchure, who's supposed to be rotting in the Garden for the crime of killing one of our own, and I personally decided to issue him with a pardon. I hope you'll all welcome home. Thierry." Klaus pats Thierry on the shoulder before letting him rejoin his comrades. Thierry smiles and gives Diego a hug.

Diego laughs in pleasant surprise. "Welcome home, man."

Marcel grins at the return of his close friend and turns to Klaus. "You're in a good mood. You should visit Mystic Falls more often."

Klaus looks happy that he pleased his old friend, but he lets a deep sigh escape his lips, thinking of a certain blonde he left behind. "Well, as much as I might like to, I have pressing responsibilities here." He turns to address the crowd of vampires once more. "Now, as you all know, the witch Davina is no longer with us. Without Davina, we can no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbors. However, since their Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever. Until then, I say we keep them on their toes. Diego, I wonder if you might lead a rousting in the cauldron?" Diego smiles and starts to plan with the other vampires. Marcel grabs his bottle and goes to storm away, but Klaus stops him in the doorway. "Marcel, I'd hoped you would join Diego."

Marcel shakes his head. "Nah. I'm gonna take a personal day." He pushes past Klaus and leaves, hiding his emotions from his friends, except the Hybrid can see right through him. Klaus watches him leave; his eyes filled with sympathy.

Streets of New Orleans

3rd POV

Rebekah and Elijah walk through the streets of New Orleans as they talk about recent events. Elijah beams with delight as he shares his observations of their brother. "Now, you may doubt him, but today, I saw Niklaus demonstrate mercy towards an enemy. Tell me that's not progress."

Rebekah looks to her eldest brother and scoffs. "Please, Elijah. Who do you think convinced Klaus to let Thierry out?"

Elijah looks at his little sister suspiciously. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"Because, despite Klaus's reprieve, Thierry despises him. I like that about Thierry. I also like that he used to date a witch, so he knows about French Quarter covens. Maybe he can lead me to whoever stole off with the Harvest magic."

The Noble Original sighs as the memory of the Harvest comes to his mind. The absolute devastation on his wife's face as she wailed in sorrow while holding the young deceased witch in her arms. "Rebekah, we are all devastated by the outcome of this ritual."

"That's just it. There was no outcome. We both know that power like that doesn't just vanish. I say someone stole it. I'd like to know who, and then I'd like to make an ally out of them."

Elijah becomes annoyed at the young Mikaelson. Can't she see the progress their brother is making? Why does she want to ruin it? "To what end, Rebekah?"

Rebekah replies in a huff, not understanding why her older brother continues to see the false redemption ark their half-brother is on. "I'm tired of being threatened and controlled by our tyrant brother. If you want to stop a bully, you need the power to stand up to them."