Not Gone After All (Part 3)

New Orleans
3rd POV

Klaus walks down a deserted street and sits down on a bench. After a minute, Elijah arrives and sits beside him. "Are you here to give me another pep talk on the joys of fatherhood?"

Elijah shrugs. "I've said all I needed to say."

Klaus looks around, taking in the scenery. "I forgot how much I liked this town."

Elijah's eyes sadden. "I didn't forget. All the centuries we've spent together, and yet I can count on one hand the number of times that our family has been truly happy. I hated leaving here."

Klaus sighs. "As did I."

"What is on your mind, brother?"

"For a thousand years, I lived in fear. Any time I settled anywhere, our father would hunt me down and...chase me off. He made me feel powerless, and I hated it. This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want to be king."

"And what of Hayley and the baby?"

Klaus's famous smirk appears. "Every king needs an heir."

New Orleans French Quarter
Elizabeth's POV

My tears stain my cheek as I sit beside Thierry's bed. Victor has his hand upon my shoulder in comfort. This is the end for him.

Niklaus, that selfish bastard! I swear once I see him again, I will tear him a new one!

As if fate has it, speak of the devil and he appears. When Niklaus enters Marcellus and Diego rise defensively. Niklaus sighs deeply. "I had time to sleep on it last night."

I motion to Marcellus not to attack and he motions to Diego. "Continue."

Niklaus nods. "I am not your enemy. Where my family and I failed this town...Marcel, you and your mother succeeded." Niklaus reaches over to a drink tray and picks up a glass. He bites into his hand and holds it, bleeding, over the glass. "My blood will heal him, as though it never happened." Marcellus nods at Diego, who takes the glass and gives it to the dying Thierry. "The Quarter is your home, but I would like to stay a while, if I'm still welcome."
A wide grin spreads across Marcellus's face, and his places his hands on Niklaus's neck, chuckling. They look to me.

"Don't make me regret this." I say, crossing my arms. "Now that this is taken care of, I have unfinished business to attend too."

~Time lapse~

Victor and I arrive back to the Salvatore Boarding House. Inside, I lean against the wall as I watch the brothers about to fail at torturing their young love.

Those imbeciles! She knows they won't actually hurt her. Oh well, let the babies learn.

Damon noisily sets down a fire extinguisher and Elena startles awake, groggily finding herself strapped down in a chair on the main level of the house before a closed curtain. "Good, you're awake. Thought you could use a little sunshine." Stefan walks around the room and stands by a window. Elena looks down at her hand to find it empty.

"Looking for this?" Damon holds up her daylight ring making her glare at him, and me roll my eyes. "Oh, you know the rules: bad girls don't get nice jewelry."

Elena speaks impassively making me smirk a bit. "You took my ring. I'm devastated. And bored. Can I go back to solitary now?"

Damon smiles. "No. I kinda like you in the hot seat. Whenever you're ready, brother." They look to Stefan.