"Don't worry, Lottie. She'll be all right," William assured her, breathless from the strain of carrying Fidelia up three levels.

Lottie's footsteps sounded against the wood floor as she ran to open the bedroom door for William. Fidelia could hardly bear to look. William carried her through their sitting room to the bed, where he set her down softly just as the countess burst into the room. Her face was flushed, and she was gasping from the exertion of climbing the stairs.

"William! What has that wife of yours done now?" she asked, glar­ing down at Fidelia. Fidelia tried to return the look, but the effect was ruined by another sob.

William called for Fidelia's maid, who came running into the room. "Sally, please take my mother to the sitting room. Bring her tea for her nerves." He leaned over Fidelia, fretting with the covers and pillows as if unsure how to make her comfortable.

The countess argued with William, who seemed to be losing his patience. The pain in Fidelia's leg made her mind go numb, and the raised voices faded to a ringing in her ears. Fidelia watched Lottie's lips move, but she didn't hear the words as she concentrated on not crying.

As if the room weren't crowded enough, Edmund pushed his way in just as sound came rushing back to Fidelia, making her wince.

Edmund shouted at William, demanding to know what happened while more maids pushed into the room with extra pillows, tea trays, and blankets, frantic to be of assistance. Lottie began to cry while the countess loudly protested as Sally tried to guide her from the room.

"Please! Go away!" Fidelia buried her face in the pillows. She had never been so mortified in her life, and those infuriating tears refused to stop.

"Quiet!" William shouted. Instantly, the room hushed. Fidelia peeked out to watch. He must have noticed her embarrassment. "Everyone, out! My wife has enough to deal with already without this commotion."

The maids gathered near the doorway scurried away. With a huff, the countess left the room with Sally. Another maid led Lottie from the room just as the physician arrived.

"Sir, take good care of my wife. I shall return shortly." William gave the portly man a nod and, without even looking at Fidelia, turned to leave.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Fidelia asked, struggling to sit up. Her ankle and elbow screamed in pain, but she gritted her teeth to keep from crying out.

"To punish the man who did this," William replied, not looking back at her as he paused by the door.

"You must be quick, William," Edmund said, his eyes clouded with what Fidelia thought was worry or anger. "Too much time has already passed, and the trail is growing cold."

"No—" Fidelia's stomach lurched. "William, please, I d-don't want to be alone."

"I shall remain with you, Fidelia," Edmund said, coming to her side.

"I-I want William." Fidelia looked desperately to William, begging him silently to turn around. "Husband." Her voice broke, and anger that he would so quickly leave when she needed him heated her cheeks. "Please?"

William sighed, and a muscle worked in his jaw. Fidelia imag­ined that she could hear his teeth grinding from where she sat in bed. "Edmund, go find that man. I shall remain here with my wife."

"But—" he protested, casting Fidelia a worried glance.

"Now, Edmund," William said, finally turning around.

Edmund tensed as if he would argue, but then he dipped his head to Fidelia and exited the room.

"May I examine my patient now, m'lord?" the physician asked, cleaning his half-moon spectacles in impatience.

William let out a strangled-sounding breath and nodded stiffly. He stood beside the bed as the doctor carefully raised Fidelia's skirt a few inches to examine her injury. Fidelia blushed at the realization of how much of her legs her husband could see and looked guiltily at him.

William glanced at her ankle, which was an ugly purple, and his hands balled into fists.

The physician prodded her lower leg and foot with a pudgy finger, making Fidelia jerk and twist her ankle away painfully. She gasped.

"It appears the break is not severe. I believe we can set the bone. If you would hold her." The physician gestured to William.

Fidelia couldn't breathe. Her chest tightened, and her thoughts spiraled out of control in her panic. Broken? Did that mean they were about to—?

"This will help with the pain, m'lady." The physician offered Fidelia a concoction. "It will take a quarter of an hour to take full effect, but because of the swelling, we must set the bone as soon as possible."

Carefully, William sat on the bed beside Fidelia and wrapped an arm around her waist. As the physician prodded her again, she jerked away, and William pulled her into his lap. "Lay your head against my shoulder and try not to look," he murmured to Fidelia. She hesitated, but slowly buried her face against his chest and held her breath. William placed his other hand in her hair to hold her firmly against him.

Fidelia clutched at his shirt, eyes closed tightly.

Carefully, the physician pressed against the sides of her leg and foot, manipulating the bone back into place.

She clenched her teeth and held her breath, but after a few seconds, she could endure the pain no more. Fidelia screamed.

***

Okay, I must confess: I was inspired to write this chapter because of Colonel Brandon and Marriane from Sense and Sensibility (with Allan Rickman, because no one could ever compare to him as Colonel Brandon).  I remember the first time I watched that movie as a little girl and I cried when I saw how tender Colonel Brandon was with Marrianne, even after she had rejected him.  What do you guys think?  Is William equally swoon-worthy? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you for reading!!! You guys are the best.

If you like this chapter, please vote and comment!  I love to hear from you!