Monster-In-Law

Bath, England, 16 September 1812

The next twelve weeks of the trip across the Atlantic passed uneventfully, but Fidelia felt like she was going to lose her mind from boredom. The latter was made difficult by the new bosom-buddy friendship that had quickly developed between Miss Palmer and Lottie. The two spent nearly every waking moment with each other, and William seemed determined to avoid her during the day, spending his time locked up in the captain's cabin with Mr. de Lacy discussing secrets he wouldn't share with Fidelia. 

She avoided the other pas­sengers by staying in her room reading from the captain's library during the day and pacing the deck at night until she collapsed in exhaustion. Each morning, however, she awoke in bed. William was nowhere to be found, but the bedding beside her was still warm and mussed.

Now, she was bouncing along in William's fancy carriage toward Bath with William, Lottie, and Mr. de Lacy.

Lottie looked out the window excitedly at the gold-colored build­ings as they passed. "Octavia—Miss Palmer—says this is the place to be during the season! All the eligible young men are here, and Bath has the most fabulous balls."

Fidelia swallowed hard, bunching the cloth of her dress in her fist. She looked away from the buildings to William, who sat across from her with Mr. de Lacy. William seemed weary. He had dark circles under his eyes as he rubbed a hand across his brow.

"William?" Fidelia whispered, swallowing her nerves.

He held up a hand to ward off her questions and covered his eyes with his other hand as if his head ached. He'd been moody ever since a red-haired man with a plethora of freckles had taken him aside at the docks. It looked like they had argued, but William wouldn't answer Fidelia when she asked him about the stranger. Mr. de Lacy glared at William and leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on Fidelia's arm.

"You mustn't be nervous, my dear," Mr. de Lacy said kindly. He gave her arm a squeeze and Fidelia felt her stomach lurch as if she were still sick on the ship. Despite Mr. de Lacy's encouraging words, she couldn't stop the fear that was rising within her. She had been able to hide from everyone on the ship, but here, in this large city . . .

"William, why aren't we going to the castle in Durham?" Fidelia asked quietly, trying to get her husband's attention once again. He only shook his head and mumbled something under his breath. She had consoled her grief over the loss of her eatery and life in America with the knowledge that she would return to her childhood home. She'd imagined herself walking into the stable that her father used to oversee, cherishing that closeness to him that she so bitterly missed since his death. Her heart ached that this, too, was being taken away from her.

Mr. de Lacy chuckled and elbowed William in the side. "Although William's holdings are in Durham, little Fifi, his parents prefer—"

"We're here," William cut him off, sitting forward as the carriage slowed to a halt.

Fidelia's heart jumped into her throat. She was about to meet William's parents. She had seen them as a child, but she had never given them much attention. If Miss Palmer thought she was unquali­fied to be William's wife, what on earth would his parents think of Fidelia? "William, must we—"

"Come, they will be eager to meet you." He smiled at her, but the corners of his eyes were crinkled with something like pain or frustra­tion. Was he regretting his decision?

"But—" Fidelia swallowed the panic that was rising in her throat. They had been avoiding each other for weeks on the boat, but now she felt herself drawing closer to him for comfort.

One of the manservants opened the door to the carriage and William jumped out first, Mr. de Lacy close behind. William helped Lottie down, then reached in for Fidelia. She took a deep breath and clutched his hand.

Once her feet hit the ground, she straightened her dirty and wrin­kled skirts, suddenly wishing she hadn't been wearing the same dress for the last twelve weeks aboard a cramped and smelly ship. What would his parents think of her? William turned and directed the servants to unload the trunks, and Mr. de Lacy placed Fidelia's arm in his, turning to point her toward the large, gold-colored stone mansion that rose before them.

"William's parents have traditionally resided at Durham Castle, but they have remained in Bath the last few years on account of his father's gout. His mother prefers it here anyway. The north of England is very cold in the wintertime, and it can be quite dreary," he said. He cheer­fully pointed up to the windows where Fidelia saw a curtain flick. She spied a tall, straight-backed woman with a stern nose watching them.

"I remember," Fidelia whispered, shivering under the woman's gaze. She recalled those chilling eyes from her childhood, as frigid as the northern winds.

William coughed behind them. "Edmund, I shall escort my wife, if you please." They turned to see William, who gestured good-naturedly for Mr. de Lacy to step aside.

"Ah, of course." Mr. de Lacy bowed slightly and stepped back to escort Lottie.

William tucked her hand into the crook of his arm and pulled her up the steps to knock on the door. It swung back immediately, opened by an aged butler with wispy hair. "Lord Greyville. It is good to have you back, m'lord."

Fidelia straightened her spine and raised her chin as they stepped through the doorway into the cool entry hall. A large set of stairs rose in front of them, and descending down the steps was a regal, elderly man leaning heavily upon a cane. Beside him was the elegant, graceful woman with the stern nose that Fidelia had seen in the window.

"Father, Mother," William said warmly, pulling Fidelia along as he met his parents at the base of the staircase.

"What-ho, my boy!" his father said, shaking his hand firmly. A teasing light glittered in his eyes.

"Will, darling." His mother then embraced him lightly. "You really must cut your hair. You look like a miscreant!"

"It's good to see you too, Mother." William kissed her cheek and turned toward Fidelia, who had pulled back a step, despite her determi­nation to show no fear. "Come, Fidelia. I want you to meet my parents, the Earl and Countess of Durham."

"Who is this dirty servant girl, William?" the countess asked, appar­ently insulted that William had ignored the proper order of introductions that would honor the ranks of his parents. She raised a stern eyebrow at Fidelia, who fought to contain her anger at the woman's disdain.

"Father, Mother, this is my wife, Fidelia."

"Your what?" The countess's outraged shout shook the crystal chan­delier above them and chilled Fidelia's blood to her core.

***

Hey Guys! Thank you so much for reading this chapter!  If you liked it, please vote!!

What do you think of Fidelia's in-laws? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!