She's Mine: Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" she whispered aloud. 

Eliza wriggled her toes with delight as she successfully had her breakfast with a satisfied baby. Throughout Eliza's meal, her child was glancing around the room, looking everywhere but at her mother. Eliza observed the curious person, and carefully put the bowl on the ground when she was done eating. 

Eliza closed her eyes, and couldn't believe what she was about to do. It wasn't in her nature to behave in such a way, but there was no use fighting the urge to try. 

"What... what are you looking at?" Eliza softly, but awkwardly, asked her daughter. 

Large, glassy eyes were set on her this time, and Eliza matched the surprised expression. 

"What were you looking at?" Eliza asked again, but this time with a little smile. 

A gummy grin was returned along with excited twitches. Eliza couldn't help the look of endearment that she showed to the animated person. Taking a soft grasp of both little hands, she asked the question again, making her dribbling baby squirm with more joy. There was no fighting the temptation Eliza had to rub her large hands over a small round belly. 

"You're so warm," she observed, before taking note of the yawn that overtook her baby's face. 

It took ten more minutes before there was a sleeping baby in her swinging cradle. Eliza was shocked that she was making more efforts to display an emotion that she didn't practice often– affection. It had carried over so much from her first talks with her daughter that she was anxiously nibbling at her nails while scouring through the internet. 

After an hour, she exited the browser with disappointment. She didn't know why she would think searching for names would be easy. Something simple and fitting for a girl should have sufficed, and there were plenty– just not any Eliza wanted. 

She was pulled from her worry, seeing the light to her phone light up on the table. Quickly opening up the work email, her panic ceased as she read the sender and subject. In the body of the message Troy explained in a large block of text why he didn't show up with Helen the other day. There were plenty of references to his twin trying to thwart him whenever she could, and Eliza snickered at the documented promise of him plotting to get Helen back in his final "p.s.". 

Eliza chuckled, and quickly replied to his question that asked if she was okay. 

"Yes. In fact, Emmy is home for the weekend." she happily replied.

Less than a minute had passed when her phone began to ring.

"Eliza Kelly," she answered with curiosity.

"Liza... it's Troy. I mean T," he snickered at the end. 

"Oh," she peeped, feeling her stomach turning at the surprise call.

"So, you're all alone with Sweetpea?" he asked with haste.

She took in a deep breath and smiled, "Yes."

"... everything good?" he murmured, barely hiding his worry.

"Yes, Troy. Things are surprisingly smooth," she admitted. 

Eliza quickly heard the signature Troy Daniels chuckle, "That's swell. Well, I'm sorry for the abrupt call, but you know me... I'm a little impatient and nosy. Maybe not a little."

Eliza took a moment to figure out what to say next, but she was unsure if he would bother wanting to know.

"Liza? Ya there?" he asked after seconds of silence.

"I spoke to her..." Eliza blurted, before quickly faded out.

"Ya did?" he gasped. 

Looking down at the chubby cheeks, she sighed, "Yes."

"Well now what did she say?" he innocently prompted.

Eliza scrunched her brows, "She can't speak Tro–" 

"I'm just pullin' yer tail, Liza," he laughed. 

"Oh," she muttered, before rolling her eyes and pouting. 

"I hope you didn't take offense. It's really great that yer talkin' to the Sweetpea now," he cheered. 

The nickname he had for her daughter made her nervous. It was easy for him to have something for her, but Eliza could barely even think of a starting point for a name. 

Before Eliza could open her mouth to ask the next question, she heard a knock at her door. With caution she covered her phone to her chest, walked to the door and looked through the eye hole.

"Who is it?" Eliza questioned, not being able to see anyone. 

She put her phone back to her ear, after hearing Troy calling her name.

Eliza murmured into the line, "There's no one at the door. That's odd." 

"Don't open it," he said with urgency. 

Eliza wasn't privy to denying what Troy said since she didn't want to open it either. It was odd for someone to knock at her door– she rarely guests that would visit without notice. 

Again, she heard a few knocks. Nervously, she looked back out of the eye hole and her face turned ghostly. She couldn't believe that he was standing outside of her door, and she immediately hung up the phone without thinking twice. 

"Eliza... please open the door," Andrew begged on the other side.

"Leave or I will have security escort you out," she snapped back.

He immediately retorted, "Why won't you let me see her?" 

"Why has it taken you this long to come around. It's been weeks!" she shrilled, before quickly covering her mouth. 

Her phone was ringing again, and she knew it was Troy trying to get a hold of her again. 

"I was scared," Andrew grumbled. 

"Is that supposed to absolve you from any of your ignorance to the entire situation?" Eliza whimpered. 

There was a mild bang at the door, before Andrew sighed, "Eliza... she belongs to me too, and I'm trying to make an effort to reconcile." 

Eliza looked down at her feet and couldn't believe she was thinking about it. Remembering what Troy said how not being able to see his own child would tear him apart, she let her resistance subside for a moment. 

"Eliza, please," Andrew begged once more.

She clenched down on her teeth, and reached out to the doorknob. She had to make a decision quick before she overthought another situation. Her decision wasn't just about what she wanted; Eliza had to consider what would be best in the long run for her little girl.