The siberian tiger

The Amur tiger or Siberian tiger (Panthera tigris altaica Temminck) is a tiger subspecies, a carnivorous mammal belonging to the Felidae family. It is characterized by a lighter coat than the other tiger subspecies and by dimensions similar to those of the Bengal tiger, which makes it one of the largest existing felines.

The Siberian tiger is endemic to a small geographical area located in the extreme southeastern part of Siberia largely corresponding to the coastal mountain range of Sichotė-Alin, and its habitat is constituted by the boreal forest and mixed temperate, two typical biomes of this region. Since the mid-nineteenth century, the subspecies has undergone a drastic reduction in the range and number of specimens caused by a set of concurrent factors such as habitat destruction, poaching and the reduction of typical prey. Its state of conservation - monitored since the 1950s and determined by the IUCN in 1996 and later in 2008 - ranks it as in danger of extinction.

In 2008, its population numbered a few hundred specimens, mainly found in the Russian Far East and, to a lesser extent, in the area of the border with Manchuria and North Korea.

The Siberian tiger is a mammal that is in danger of disappearing from the face of the Earth: its future, according to a recent report by the WWF, is increasingly threatened by man and by now only 500 individuals have remained alive. The Siberian tiger is therefore an endangered species that must be protected: we seriously risk that in the future this wonderful specimen can be admired only in photography. The Siberian tigers belong to a unique species, which was able to adapt to the most severe climatic conditions like those of Russia. The Siberian tiger is an animal at risk of extinction and today only 500 individuals remain alive. This mammal is in danger of disappearing and is constantly threatened by man. It's in fact the fault of the deforestation if the Siberian tigers are losing their habitat little by little: the availability of prey is less and less and hunting has become much more complex than in the past. To this we must add the poaching, because in the past many specimens have been killed to be able to use their fur. The WWF is trying to protect the specimens that have remained alive, but more restrictive animal policies are needed because at this rate we risk exterminating entire species.

The man, once again, is responsible for a huge environmental crime.

Written by federella97