Chapter 16 *Angel*

I sat under our apple tree, starring at the clouds.  For some reason I’m thinking about the future.

    I’ve never thought about the future before.  Mostly because I’ve never had to.  He always told me my missions for the day, then I could enjoy my time here.

    But for some reason, I’m thinking about my future.  Or more I’m thinking of my future with Lilith.

    I wonder if it’s forbidden to marry her?  It probably is since it has never been done before.  Maria thinks so, but I think it’s just because she’s best friends with Lilith, and Maria thinks Lilith is better off with Adam.  She doesn’t understand how much I love Lilith though.

    My daydreaming stopped when I heard someone crying.  Then I smelly her fragrance.  Sunshine.

    “Lilith?” I yelled, standing up.

    I spun around just in time for her to crash into my arms.

    “Lilith, what’s the matter?”  I asked, abruptly, lightly pushing her away so I could see her face.

    She looked unharmed, and as usual her hair was tangled from running.  Lilith quickly covered her eyes, but not before I could see the tears, and her blood shot eyes.

    “What’s wrong?”  I asked again, calmer this time.

    She shook her head, and I pulled her into my arms.  I caressed her wild hair, and whispered, “It’s okay.”

    A few minutes passed, before Lilith spoke.

    “Lucifer wants me,” she whispered.  It was very faint, but I heard it loud and clear.  Enough that I froze.

    “What?” I whispered back.

    She nodded into my chest.  “He told me he was going to ask the Lord for his blessing.  He wants to marry me, Samual.”

    Something inside me cracked.  Lucifer.  The one I trusted with my life.  The love I’ve grown up with.

    I stepped away from Lilith and started pacing.

    “Samual, say something,” Lilith begged.

    I turned and faced her.  “What do you want me to say!?”

    Lilith’s eyes widened, and she dropped to her knees, her face in her hands.

    “Lilith?” I was cautious.

    “Your eyes,” she whispered.

    I closed them.  I knew they were red.  I was mad.  Not mad, infuriated.  How dare he try and take her from me!

    I opened my eyes, and kneeled down next to her.  “I’m sorry,” I whispered.  “But your fate has already been decided.  There’s nothing I can do now.”

    Lilith dropped her hands.  “God will only give his blessing if I’m pure,” she murmured.

    My eyes widened this time.  Of course that’s what he wanted.  But making her impure… “That’s crazy Lilith!  He would ban me!”  If not kill me.

    “I love you Samual.  I don’t want to be his,” she wrapped her arms around my neck, twisting my hair with her fingers,

    I sighed, and relaxed.  My eyes automatically landed on hers.  Grass green.

    Before I realized what I was doing, I nodded.

    Lilith squealed in delight, and nuzzled her face into my neck.

    I had no idea what was doing.