Chapter 11 *Angel*

Why did I have to run after her anyways? Stupid.

    I couldn’t believe I actually went up to her after school like I did.  And then to tally blank out like I did...Disgusting.

    I cursed myself as I turned down Uriel’s street.

    Why couldn’t I just forget about her?  Why, you ask?  Because I’m pathetic, that’s why.  I should’ve known I would've lost it.  But why wouldn’t I?  She looks exactly like Lilith.  Only she isn’t Lilith.  She is the total opposite.

    Lilith was too confident about herself, loud, wild.  But Hannah’s not.  She’s quiet, controlled, and fragile.

    She’s beautiful.

    I parked Uriel’s car in the garage and entered the kitchen.

    Sounded like Uriel was in the backyard trimming something, so I grabbed an apple from her fruit basket, and threw my bag on the dining table.

    Taking a bite, I opened the back door.  Where I was right.  Uriel was trimming roses away from...a giant statue?

    No statues.  There were seven statues surrounding the yard.  Each one white marble, about seven feet tall, and all men.  Except one woman.  Who I knew was Maria.

    “Oh hey,” Uriel gasped, inhaling a gulp of air.  She brushed her arm across her forehead, and pulled off her gloves. “How was school?” She asked, smiling.

    I blinked, and looked at all the statues again.  “What the –.”

    Uriel laughed.  “Geez, gawk much?”

    The statues were of the main archangels that Fell.

    Uriel sighed.  “I started collecting a few years ago.  That one over there is my latest one.”

    I looked at the statue she was pointing at.  I didn’t recognize it.

    I went to get a closer look.  It was obviously male.  However, unlike the others who had confident postures, he was more slumped over as if in defeat.  Even the way his eyes were created, you could tell he was very sad.

    “You don’t recognize him?”  Uriel asked, truly curious.

    My eyes trailed down to the X over the angel’s heart.

    “It’s me,” I whispered.

ØØØØØØØ

    I ran down the grassy hilltop.  Lilith’s laughter behind me.

    Finally I touched the over-flowing apple tree.  “I won!” I announced, only to turn around and have Lilith barrel into me at full speed.

    I fell backwards with an oomph, which made Lilith only laugh harder.

    I smiled, and gently pushed her wild hair behind her ear.  Lilith stopped laughing slowly.

    For some reason, she reminded me of sunshine.  Maybe it was her golden curly hair, or her hazel eyes that had some gold flecks.  Or maybe simply because she radiated constantly.

    I pulled back with a sigh. “I love you,” I murmured.

    She smiled sweetly, and ran her fingers through my white hair.  “Prove it.”

    Gently, sitting up. Lilith slid to my lap, and I took off my shirt.

    Lilith’s eyes widened as I took my dagger from it’s hilt…

    “Samual,” she gasped.

    I slowly drew an X over my heart in front of her eyes.  Each slit healed instantly, giving away to bright red scar.

    “You have claimed my heart,” I explained,  “now it’ll always be yours.”

    Lilith’s eyes glistened, and she quickly flung her arms around my neck.  I barely had enough time to put my dagger back before she started hugging me again.

ØØØØØØØ

    Uriel looked at me. “Yeah, it is.”

    I nodded, coming back to present day drama.

    “So where’d you go?”

    I looked at her.  “Huh?”

    Uriel smiled.  “You were day dreaming?”

    ”Oh yeah,” I shrugged.

    Uriel just nodded.

    Suddenly a thought occurred to me.

    “Do you really know why I fell?”  I asked, urgently.

    She blinked.  “Wasn’t it because you were with mortal women?”  Her reply was automatic.

    “Woman,” I corrected, and Uriel’s eyes widened.  “You know who Lilith was, right?”

    She nodded.  “Yes, she was Adam’s first wife.”

    “Was to be,” I corrected again.

    Uriel shook her head.  “What happened?”

    I didn’t answer, but looked at my statue instead.

    Three seconds passed, when Uriel finally gasped, “NO!”

    I nodded.  “I loved her.  But so did Lucifer, my loving brother.  And that’s when I got caught, and Lilith died.”

    Uriel was quiet for a moment.  “Why are you telling me this?”

    I ran my hand through my now black hair, thanks to age.  “Her doppelganger is in your town.”

    Uriel rolled her eyes.  “And?”

    “Hannah, is her name.  Her last name is Donn, I think.”

    Uriel’s heart stopped as did her breathing.

    “Uriel?’  I asked, cautiously.

    Her eyes were blank.

    I closed my eyes.  Foolishly, I was hoping she would be better when I opened my eyes again.

    Luckily, her breathing slowly returned to normal.

    “The preacher’s daughter.  You love the preacher’s daughter of all people?”

    I opened my eyes, and she was staring at her shoes.

    Of course she would be a preacher’s daughter.  “You know her?”  I wondered, allowed.

    “Not personally.  I see her when I go to Sunday services.”  Uriel stood up, and started walking towards the house.

    I didn’t say anything, just let her go.