026. Princess Emersyn's Christening

Chapter Twenty-Six | Princess Emersyn's Christening

The Christening of Princess Emersyn

Published 20 April 2020

Princess Victoria of Wales and Mr David Wellington followed generations of the Royal Family by having their daughter, Princess Emersyn, baptised in the historic surroundings of the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace

Princess Emersyn was baptised at the Lily Font, with water from the River Jordan, by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Princess, wearing the Royal christening robe, was taken to Church in a Millson pram, previously used for Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. Members of the local community were invited to join in the occasion outside the church.

Princess Victoria of Wales and Mr David Wellington, Princess Emersyn were joined by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, The Duchess of Cambridge's parents and siblings, David Wellington's family, Lady Kitty Spencer, Lady Jane Fellowes and Lady Sarah McCorquodale, Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer, and Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp and godparents and spouses at the service.

Princess Victoria of Wales and Mr David Wellington asked the following people to be godparents to Princess Emersyn, all of whom are friends or family of Princess Victoria of Wales and Mr David Wellington: Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Brooksbank; Mr. James Wellington; Dr Rachel Grosvenor, 7th Duchess of Westminster; The Hon. Laura Fellowes; The Duke of Sussex; and Lady Kitty Spencer.

——

Princess Emersyn's christening marked by family portraits

The christening of Princess Emersyn has been marked by the release of a set of family photographs.

The four images were taken by photographer Chris Allerton following the baptism in The Chapel Royal at St James's Palace.

"Everyone was so relaxed and in such good spirits, it was an absolute pleasure," Chris Allerton said.

The photos were taken in the morning room and garden of Clarence House.

A further picture of the baby princess, alert and with a wide open-mouth smile, was taken by Chris Allerton, chosen by Princess Victoria and David Wellington to be their private photographer for the day.

The christening on Monday 20 April was the first time Victoria, David and Emersyn had been seen together as a family of three.

Emersyn was sleeping as she was carried into the chapel for the 40-minute ceremony.

The Princess was heard describing her as "very relaxed and peaceful".

Also appearing in the photos are Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, and the Wellington family, including Lady Kitty Spencer, Lady Jane Fellowes and Lady Sarah McCorquodale, Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer, and Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp, The Duchess of Cambridge's parents and siblings and The Duchess of Sussex's mother, Doria Ragland.

Chris Allerton said he hoped he had captured the "joy" of the christening in his photos.

Princess Victoria shared the photos on her Instagram account, along with a special message for fans:

David and I are so happy to share the joy of this day with members of the public who have been incredibly supportive since the birth of our daughter.

We thank you for your kindness in welcoming our first born and celebrating this special moment.

Today, was all about family, David and I are honoured and fortunate to have enjoyed this day with family and the godparents of Emersyn.

Emersyn, was baptised wearing the handmade replica of the royal christening gown which has been worn by royal infants for the last 11 years.

The original Royal Christening Robe, made of fine Honiton lace lined with white satin, was commissioned by Queen Victoria in 1841 and first worn by her eldest daughter.

It was subsequently worn for generations of Royal christenings, including The Queen, her children and her grandchildren until 2004, when The Queen commissioned this handmade replica, in order for the fragile historic outfit to be preserved, and for the tradition to continue.

Photo credit: Chris Allerton