014. Dear David

Chapter Fourteen | Dear David

David had been sitting by Victoria's bedside since his arrival at eleven thirty in the morning, a long two hours ago, leaving her side only to use the rest room and get something to eat.

Not that he even wanted to leave it then. He was afraid that if he left, something would happen.

That was the thought that kept his eyes alert for any movement Victoria might make.

The room was silent except for the constant beeps of the machines.

Sounds that were supposed to reassure him but did little to accomplish that.

It wasn't right. She should not be hooked up to machines.

As soon as his eyes landed on Victoria's unresponsive body on the hospital bed the only thing he felt was guilt stabbing through his body.

He hadn't been there when she needed him the most.

There was a knock on the door.

Kitty walked in with a box under her arm.

"Hello, David." Kitty said.

"Hello, Kitty." David said.

"This is for you." Kitty said, handing David the box.

"What is it?" David asked.

"Victoria asked me to give you this letter. She spent the whole week writing these, and she wants you read it. Be strong." Kitty answered, handing David a letter.

The only letter that was out of the box.

"Why would she write me letters?" David asked.

"You should read this first." Kitty replied.

Dear David,

In case I die unexpectedly, before my time, or something went terribly wrong and I'm not present to explain this to you in person. I want you to know that I've lived a full and good life. I'm sorry. I knew I was going to die. I didn't want to tell you what was going to happen, I didn't want to see you crying. I only you wanted you to see me happy and healthy and not sick. Well, it looks like I've made it. I think that a woman who's about to die has the right to act a little bit selfish. I've experienced, of particular note are the immense gratitude and happiness I felt during my time here. While I might not have been ready to leave, I was glad to have lived. Let that be of solace to anyone I'm leaving behind. I love you. Take care of Emersyn and yourself.

Love, Victoria

"She's accepted death." David said as he puts the letter on top of the box.

"She May have accepted it that does not mean we give up on her. I know she's fighting to be here with us." Kitty said.

"I have hope that she will wake up and the first thing I will do is ask to marry me then give her a lecture about how she nearly caused me to die of a broken heart." David said.

"I always knew you were madly in love with her but I never understood why you two broke up." Kitty said.

"Honestly, that was the biggest mistake of my life. I just got so scared when I saw that the public were placing bets on me proposing to her and my privacy being invaded by the media. So, I decided to end our relationship instead of talking to her about it." David said.

"So, basically you were feeling the pressure of giving the people what they want." Kitty said.

"Basically." David said.