"Mom, I can't be seen in this!"

"Don't be so overdramatic." She sighed.

I knew he'd be a little upset with the color change, but I didn't think it would be this big of a deal.

I took a deep breath before pulling open the door as if I'd just woken up. I yawned and stretched, squinting in the bright light from the hallway. I prayed that it was believable.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Your brother's suit came in the wrong color." My mother sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I'm sure it's not that bad. What color is it?"

"Fucking powder blue!" He huffed.

"That is...tragic." I nodded. "But, you're gonna have to deal with it."

"This is such bullshit!" He rolled his eyes.

"You're telling me," my mom rolled her eyes. "(Y/n) is gonna be in pink and you're going to be in powder blue. You guys are going to look like a confused gender reveal party."

"But separately we'll both look nice." I offered.

"I supposed. Just don't sit or stand next to each other for too long when we get there, okay?" She asked, her eyes flitting in between Richie and I.

"Okay, mama." I nodded. She hated when things weren't coordinated. As a result, Richie and I have been matching at every formal event we've attended...until now.

"Whatever." Richie sighed.

"Good. Now that that's settled, lets eat some breakfast and start getting ready." She nodded, taking a deep breath and leading us downstairs to the kitchen.

Richie and I sat down at the table as our mother shoveled eggs and bacon onto the plates in front of us. I poked at my eggs, not even bothering to turn around when I heard my dad sneak down the stairs and out the front door. But, I did look up when my mother sat in the chair next to me.

"As much as I'd love to lighten the mood, I need to tell you guys something...something your father can't know about." He said, a grave expression on her face.

"Mama, is something wrong?" I asked.

"Well, yes and no. I've been thinking about this for a long time and-"

"How long?" Richie asked.

"About ten years." She sighed. "I'm not making any decisions right now, but I do want you two to have a suitcase packed and ready in case..."

"Mom, are we gonna leave dad?" Richie asked, daring to look up from his breakfast.

"We might, if things continue the way they have been." She nodded.

"I've been wondering how long it would take." He shrugged.

"You know, I'm not really hungry. I think I'm just gonna head upstairs and start getting ready."

"(Y/n) I know that this might be-"

"I'm not upset about leaving dad behind. There's some other people I have to come to terms with leaving." I said, leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs.

I closed the door softly behind me before locking it. I pressed my back against the wood and slid doen until I was sitting on the floor. My mother had been thinking about taking Richie and I away in the middle of the night for ten years. She never said anything. She almost never lost her temper. She never hinted at the fact that living with him could be that bad.