Through The Window

We all rushed up the stairs to Ben's room, lured by the promise of mysteries and just something to actually do this summer instead of just laying around and swimming. Eddie and Richie, had been going on about something that I didn't understand and it was starting to get on my nerves.

"I heard he has a rollercoaster, and a pet chimpanzee, and like some old guys fucking bones!" Richie exclaimed as we walked through the doorway.

"That's so cool!" Eddie laughed, and I just rolled my eyes.

The walls were covered in newspaper clippings and old legal documents. I wandered around, glancing at all of the missing posters he had spread out around the room. Some I recognized, some, I didn't. Either way, there were too many to say that these disappearances happened under normal circumstances.

"Woah, woah, woah, wow..." Richie said, glancing at the papers in front of him.

"Cool right?" Ben asked, beaming.

"No, no, nothing cool." Richie shook his head.

"This is cool," Eddie said, pointing something out, "Wait, no it's not."

"What is that?" Stan asked as he finally stopped staring at Ben's globe in the corner.

"That? That's the charter for the Derry township." Ben nodded.

"Nerd alert!" Richie laughed and I nudged him with my elbow.

"Actually, it's pretty interesting. Derry started out as a beaver trapping camp." Ben shook his head, dismissing Richie's taunt.

"Still is, am I right boys?" Richie laughed, holding out his hand for a high five but getting rejected by everyone yet again.

"Ninety one people signed the charter for Derry, but later that winter they all disappeared without a trace." Ben said, an almost ominous feeling sliding over me.

"The entire camp?" Eddie asked, stepping closer to the paper.

"There were rumors of Indians, but no sign of an attack. Everyone thought it was like the plague or something. But it's like one day everyone just woke up and left." Ben seemed absolutely baffled by the story, but it reminded me of the story of Roanoke, the little settlement in Virginia that just went missing and to this day no one knows why.

"This doesn't make any sense." I shook my head.

"The only clue was a trail of bloody clothes leading to the well house." Ben said, pointing to another paper.

"Jesus," Eddie sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

"Where's the well house?" Bill asked, stepping over to where we had gathered around the charter.

"I don't know, somewhere in town I guess. Why?" Ben asked.

Bill had an idea.

We all agreed to meet up at Bill's house tomorrow, we had things to go over.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I stared up at the ceiling, counting the plastic glow in the dark stars that littered my ceiling as I waited for Bill. He said that he would come by tonight, but so far there's no sign of him.

I laid my glasses on the bedside table, and switched off my lamp. So much for having friends over. I pulled the blanket up to my chin and forced myself to go to sleep. There's no reason to sit up until the wee hours of the morning waiting on someone who isn't going to show.

I heard someone messing with the window and footsteps entering my room. I sat up in bed, squinting around in the dark, my heart slamming against my ribcage. My window was open, the off white curtains blowing slightly in the soft breeze. I could see what looked like a person standing on the other side of the room, just watching me.