12. Will You, Though?

Start from the beginning

"I'm not every girl. I mean it. Don't buy me anything. Seriously."

"Uhuh," I say doubtfully, as I watch the brown liquid pour into the mug.

"Damien."

"Okay, okay. Fine." I put my hands up even though she can't see me.

"Good."

"Can I at least throw you a party? I'll bring some friends."

"No offense but the way you describe your friends, I'm sure partying with them is a bad idea."

"Ouch. But you're right. How are you celebrating it?"

"I don't."

"Why not, weirdo?"

"I don't know. I just don't."

"You're boring. Let's do something just the two of us, then. I'll make it a night you'll never forget."

I hear a nervous laughter. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"What do you think?"

"Damien..." Another nervous laughter.

I snicker at her. "Oh my God, Hope. You wasn't thinking I meant sex, right? You're such a pervert."

"You're unbelievable." She's laughing now. More genuine than before.

"I love you," I almost say, before I stop myself. I don't know why my mind chose this time. But maybe it isn't right time. What if she doesn't feel the same way? Is it too quick? She wants a slow relationship so what if she still only likes me? What would it mean to her?

"Are you there?"

"Yeah. Sorry. Just thinking."

"About what?"

"You," I admit.

"Of course you are. I'm sure you're thinking all kinds of things about me."

"You're such a flirt. Calm down."

She scoffs. "I learned from the master."

I can't help but laugh. She starts talking about this book she was reading, how the guy in the story had given her a single rose and then given her a small booklet with sweet stories of the way he felt about her. I swear this girl loves anything cheesy even though she pretends to hate it. We talk past the sunrise until it's time for her to eat breakfast with her family. We're on Facetime by now and she's still laying on her bed.

"I have to go."

"I don't know how you'll resist texting me until the nighttime."

"It won't be too hard."

"I'll be miserable." I pout at her.

She scrunches her nose. "I know, baby." My dick twitches at her name calling. She's never called me that. Her eyes widen and she bites her lips as she hides her face behind a pillow.

"You're such a prude. But I like that."

"Don't make fun of me."

"I already am." I nod at her. "Hang up."

She scoffs and rolls her eyes. "Okay."

I laugh and grab my phone as if that's going to stop her. "Hey-" I begin, but the line has already cut. I shake my head at the device in my hand, grinning like a fool.

Hope's POV

I hang up, snickering and feeling a lot better after the phone call.

My phone vibrates and I see a text from Damien.

If you ever need to call me any time of the day, I'll be here okay? Remember I'm a "college dropout" so I don't have anything better to do.

How did I get so lucky? To have an amazing guy that I love, someone who always says the right things even though he's never said them to anyone else before? I close my eyes, praying that nothing bad ever happens to this relationship.

Two days later...

"What's wrong?" I ask Cellie. She's been quiet all day in school. Now that I think about it, she hasn't said much yesterday, save for sarcastic jokes made at my expense.

"Nothing." She offers me a small smile before turning her attention to the TV screen in the Solarium. I exchange a glance with Yalimar. It's a silent agreement when she turns to face Cellie and I grab the remote to turn the TV off.

"Something is clearly wrong," Yalimar tells her. Cellie shakes her head and stare at the blank screen. Her bottom lip trembles and she bites on it.

She finally speaks after a moment, her gaze fixed on the floor. "I think my mom is doing drugs again." Her voice is low that if the TV was on, I wouldn't have heard her.

I'm sure the shocked and perplexed expression on Yalimar's face mirrors mine. "What makes you think that?"

"My parents are fighting again. Like before..." Elaine used to be a cocaine addict almost 8 years ago but had stopped after Cellie found her unresponsive on the floor and called the ambulance in time. When Elaine was doing drugs, she would fight a lot with her husband. She always lied about it and tried to hide it, but her substance abuse eventually came to light. After she went to rehab, her parents' relationship improved, although hers and Cellie's took a while. It took a long time for Cellie to forgive her mom.

"How long?" Yalimar asks.

"A couple of months now. But it wasn't as bad before."

"It could be a million other reasons, Cellie," I say, putting an arm around her. "You can't jump to conclusions that quickly. She's been sober for almost 8 years. You know she regretted what she did." I was 11 then, when Cellie refused to go back home after her mom was sent to the hospital. She had stayed at my house for weeks before her father was able to convince her to return home. Her mom had enrolled into rehab and Cellie never spoke to her until she got out. I know Elaine would never break her sobriety because it would ruin a relationship with her only daughter.

She shrugs. "Whatever the reason, I'm sick of it." She turns and look at me. "I think you should tell Damien."

"What?" I ask, surprised by the sudden turn of the conversation.

"You should be honest with who you are. You said you love him."

"Yeah but-"

"If you don't tell him sooner or later, he might hold a grudge." Since when was this about me?

"I... I don't know how to."

She shrugs. "I just don't want you guys to end your relationship because you couldn't tell him the truth." I wonder if she's thinking about her mom as she says it, but I nod with conviction anyway.

"I will."

*****

Follow. Vote. Comment. Share.