Chapter 2.1

Chapter 2.1:
27 Years Later
□○□○□○□○□○□○□○□○□

Maya woke up in a cold sweat, her heart beating out of her chest. She racked her brain to try to remember anything that happened in the nightmare, yet nothing came back to her.

She lifted the covers over herself and slipped on some slippers.

Maybe some water would help. She thought. Her feet began carrying her to the kitchen.

Her eyes glanced at the pictures lining the wall as she walked down the stairs. She averted her eyes at the final picture when pain flooded her heart.

She wasn't ready to face the pain the photo brought yet.

She yawned as she flipped the light on in the kitchen. Maya walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a cup.

"Maybe I should just have some wine.." She mumbled to herself, staring at the sink. "No, too early for that shit."

She took a sip of her water, spilling it over herself when the shrill ring of her phone interrupted the silence of her apartment.

"Ah, fuck." She hissed as the now wet material began clinging to her skin.

She wiped her wet hands on her sweatpants and picked up the phone.

It read unknown with a phone number that she didn't recognize below it.

"Hello?"

"Is this Maya Bennett?" The voice said on the other end.

"Yeah? Who is this?" Maya was confused, the voice sounded vaguely familiar. Very vaguely, though.

"It's Mike."

"Mike...?" She said, her eyebrows furrowing. The name was familiar, but she couldn't quite place it.

"Hanlon. Mike Hanlon. From Derry."

"Oh, god.." She whispered to herself, her heart rate beginning to increase, "Mike, pl-"

"IT's back." He said, cutting her off. "How soon can you get to Derry?"

"Oh, fuck." Maya hissed as the glass slipped from her hand, smashing at her feet. "What do you mean?"

"Remember the pact, Maya. We all have to come back. I've already called the others."

Maya felt her heart increasing even more as her her breathing quickened.

"Maya? Hello?"

"Oh, god.. oh, god.. oh, god.." Her blood ran cold and tears flooded her eyes.

"Maya, when can you be here? We need you here as soon as possible."

"Uh.. T-Tomorrow.." She mumbled, her vision becoming hazy.

Mike said something again, but she couldn't understand what it was.

Beeping filled her ear, signaling that he had hung up.

The phone slipped from her hand, crashing to the floor below.

Her hands gripped the counter and the world began going dark.

"Oh, god.. no, why? Come, on.. oh go-"

Maya's eyes rolled into the back of her head. Her hands began to lose grip on the counter as her body fell to the floor. Her head bounced against the tile floor as her blue eyes shut.

~~

Now entering Derry, Maine.

"Ah, shit." Maya mumbled, "No goin' back now.." Her eyes quickly adjusted to the bright lights of the town she remembered so dearly, but yet remembered nothing at all.