Chapter Eleven

BEAUTIFUL GIRL

Thursday, January 23rd, 1986

Maya's heart dropped when her father finished his sentence. She had just arrived home, and David had made her some chocolate milk. He sat her at the dining table and explained they were moving. Moving to a small town called Derry.

"We're moving?" She whispered, her eyebrows furrowing and a frown grazing her features. Her bottom lip turned into a pout, "B-But why?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, sweetie" David answered solemnly "With.. your mother's recent.. I think it would be good to go home. To where I grew up.. it'd be better for us."

"B-but what about my friends?" She asked, with a tilt of her head.

"You're a great kid, you'll make new ones easily. Some could be even better.. You can go see Ellie right now, if you'd like."

"Okay.. Thanks, dad" Maya whispered, finishing her chocolate milk and running towards the door.

She pedaled quickly towards her friends house. She was devastated to leave her only friend. Maya felt different than the others her age felt, and because of that no one would talk to her. No one until Ellie. Ellie didn't care what the other kid's thought of Maya. She loved her, and that's what mattered. The pair were inseparable. You would rarely find one without the other.

Until now, of course.

Maya threw her bike down and ran up the steps. She slammed her small fist on the door repeatedly until it opened.

"Maya? Oh, hello, dear. Ellie's in her room." Ellie's mother explained gently, smiling softly at the small girl.

"Thanks.." Maya mumbled sadly as she made her way past the woman. She made her way up the stairs, her small hand gripping the railing.

"Maya! Maya! Hi, Maya!" Ellie shouted excitedly as Maya pushed the door open. Ellie stood up, dropping her toys, and rushed over to her. She threw her tan arms around her in a tight hug.

"Hi.." Maya whispered back, wrapping her arms around her friend.

"What's wrong?" Ellie asked, her deep brown eyes shimmering with worry.

"I-I'm moving.." Maya sighed, avoiding eye contact.

"You're what?" Ellie shouted, her jaw dropping.

"Moving.. to a town called Derry..:

"Dairy? Like milk?" Ellie asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

"No, Derry. With an 'E'" Maya explained, walking over and sitting on her carpet.

"Oh.. will you come back?"

"Maybe to visit.." Maya replied, looking up at Ellie. She had always thought Ellie was really pretty.

Ellie smiled, "Soon?"

Maya liked it when she smiled. It made her feel all warm inside. It could instantly make her feel happier, no matter what had happened that day. Maya continued to stare at the girl. Her brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight that flowed through the window. Maya gulped as she stared at her. As she stared at the beautiful girl. She was gonna miss her so much..

"Maybe.."

Ellie sighed and sat next to her. She leaned her head on Maya's shoulder as they sat in silence. Maya was scared. What if she didn't make any friends? What if she was alone? Maya didn't want to leave, but she knew she had to. She didn't want this moment to end, though.

"Ellie?"

"Yeah?"

"You'll call me, right?"

"Every day. I promise."

****

Maya was tired of the car. She had been in it for far too long. She had left her beloved home a few days ago, and they had been driving to her new home all day every day since that moment.

"Dad!" Maya whined "Are we there yet?"

"No, honey." David replied, earning a loud groan from Maya as she leaned her head against the window.

"When are we gonna get there?" Josh asked, looking up from the sports magazine he had.

"We're about an hour away." David responded, glancing at a road sign as they passed.

"Finally!" Josh huffed and threw his head back.

With that, the car fell back into silence. The only noise coming from the sounds on the radio.

After the long hour, they finally pulled up to the house.

"This is where I grew up." David told the two kids as he got out of the car.

"This is one old house, then." Josh joked, as he slammed the door shut and walked up the steps.

"Hey, wait a minute-"

"Dad, is their a playground in this town?" Maya asked, following her older brother into the house.

"There is. We can go later."

"Yay!" Maya cheered excitedly, jumping up and down. "I'm gonna go pick a room!"

Her little feet pounded up the stairs as she ran. Making it to the top, she ran room to room, trying to find the perfect one. When she opened the third door, a grin spread to her face.

"This one!" She shouted and walked into the room. She loved it. It was perfect for her.

Maya excitedly ran down the stairs to get some of the stuff they fit into the car.

"Thanks, dad!" She said, taking the box from his hands and smiling up at him.

"Well, apparently the moving van won't be here until tomorrow, so we can go to the park if you want." David offered. "Josh went to the arcade."

"Okay!" Maya agreed, dropping the box and bolting to the door. "Let's go, Let's go, let's go!"

Maya had been in that car for hours, meaning she was a ball of pure energy.

"Wait!" David called, quickly running after her.

After he caught up to her, they walked in silence to the park.

"I'm gonna go on the swings!" Maya said quickly, rushing over to the swing set. David nodded and walked over to the bench.

Maya quickly climbed on and started to swing. As she got into a rhythm, she looked around her. Kids filled fhe park. They were all together, and seemed to have known each other all their life.

She felt her mood drop as she stopped kicking back and forth. She missed Ellie. She wasn't gonna have any friends here..

Maya sighed as she felt her swing come to a stop. She kicked her feet against the ground and frowned. What if she never made any friends? What if she was alone forever? What if the only people that talked to her were her dad and her brother? What if-

"Hi!" Someone said. Maya quickly looked up to see a boy. He had dark curly hair and a pink shirt on. He had cargo shorts and large glasses on, too.

"Hi.." Maya replied unsure.

"My name is Richie, and you look sad." The boy said, sitting on the swings next to her.

"Maya." She replied looking back down at her feet.

"Wanna be friends?" He asked kicking his feet back and forth

"Really?" Maya asked excitedly, looking at him quickly.

"Yeah, duh."

"Okay!" Maya grinned, maybe this new town wouldn't be so bad after all.

□□□□□□□□□□

{ Word count:

{ A/n: None }

{ Edited [ ✔ ] 8-28-19 }