Chapter Nine

THE ARCADE INCIDENT

Maya and Richie made their way to the arcade, both pants pocket's filled with quarters. They had invited Beverly, but her dad wouldn't let her go. Maya was disappointed but covered it up quickly.

"Listen, I'm just saying. If you and Bev were the only women left on earth, we'd have the best threesome." Richie said, throwing his hands up for emphasis. 

"That is just nasty." Maya replied, sticking her tongue out and shaking her head. "We'd never touch your dick."

"You already have, babe." Richie smirked, winking at her.

"I karate chopped you in the dick. Because you pushed me." Maya huffed, opening the door to the arcade. 

"You still touched it." He squinted at her and followed her towards a game towards the back. There were not many people here today, just two kids towards the front and the workers. 

"There wasn't much to touch.." Maya mumbled, slipping a quarter into the Pac-Man machine. 

"Well that wasn't very polite." Richie scoffed and leaned against the machine. 

"The truth isn't polite, Richiroonie." Maya giggled, pressing the buttons repeatedly and rapidly.

"It sucks that your girlfriend couldn't come." Richie whispered, causing Maya to go red. 

"Bev isn't my girlfriend," She whispered back "Doesn't even like me like that.."

"Whatever, I bet she does." Richie nodded, rolling his eyes. "It's so obvious, how do you not see it?"

"See what now?" Maya glanced up from the machine as she died and switched places with Richie. 

"The way she looks at you!" Richie shrugged, focusing on the screen "it isn't like eye-fucking either. Almost how you look at her."

"Richie!"

"It's like she's in love."

"She's too good for me.." Maya mumbled, looking down at her tattered yellow converse. Yellow had always been her favorite color, she associated with the sunshine and summer.

Now she could associate it with Beverly, too.  She could associate it with her because they met on a warm summer day. Before meeting her, Maya hadn't been the luckiest person. She would always get herself into scrapes somehow. 

Not all of them were small, she was nearly killed by Henry Bowers the first year she moved here, it was for defending the only friends she had. She almost drowned in the quarry, she was allergic to the food she so desperately wanted to try. Peanuts.

She had a severe allergic reaction two years ago and almost died yet again. It's a miracle that her dad hasn't quarantined her to her room yet. Until recently, whenever she was with Beverly, nothing seemed to go wrong. Everything was perfect with her. It was like Beverly was Maya's good luck charm.

"What?" Richie said, quickly pulling away from the game to look at the brown haired beauty beside him. "Too good for you?"

Maya gave a short nod with a shrug "I mean, yeah."

"What makes you think that? Who made you think that? I swear I'll beat the shit out of them!"  

"Rich, it's not that.. I just mean, have you.. seen her? She's perfect.." Maya sighed "and I'm me. A plain Jane.

"Well, Maya, you are perfect, too." He smiled warmly at her, "She likes you a lot, I can tell." Richie nods, turning back to the machine and groaning when he saw the GAME OVER displayed in bold red letters.  

"You can go again." Maya mumbled, looking back down at her feet. Richie studied her face for a few seconds before grabbing her hand and pulling her into a hug. Maya wrapped her arms tightly around him. She breathed in and let out a quiet sigh. Richie pulled away slowly and examined her face. "Don't be sad, you're too hot for that shit."

A smile broke out on her face as she scoffed, "dork."

He softly sighed as he turned back to the game and inserted another quarter. 

They took turns playing different games, Richie winning at street fight each time, much to the dismay of Maya. Luckily, she won centipede each time, so that made her feel better.

"I'm hungry!" Richie complained, smacking his hand against the machine Maya was playing on.

"We can get food after I win this lev- ah shit!" Maya exclaimed, pulling away from the machine and kicking it. "I lost! Stupid piece of shit machine! Overpriced bullshit."

"Okay miss hangry. We should get food now before you kill something or someone. The someone would be me. I don't wanna die."

"We'll eat here. I want to beat this game." Maya huffed, kicking the machine yet again. "I'll get the food, though." Richie nodded and watched as she walked over to the counter and started speaking to the worker. 

He frowned thinking back to earlier. He was saddened that Maya could think that lowly of herself. He knew Beverly liked her, she had to. Those longing glances and soft hand touches had to mean something, right?

Friends don't act like that. There has to be something more going on.

Richie was determined. He would get those two girls together no matter what. He sighed and leaned against the machine, looking around the arcade he looked for somewhere to sit. He decided on a small bench outside of the arcade. He made his way towards it, stopping to wait for Maya as the food was handed to her.  

"Here, Richiroo, I got some pizza and.. uh, this candy bar." Maya explained, handing him the plate and the candy bar. "The boy at the counter gave it to me for free. I think he was flirting with me.."

"Thanks," Richie smiled, and took a large bite out of the pizza. They continued talking about Bev and how Richie knew she liked Maya.

Maya was not convinced. She swallowed the last bite of her pizza and unwrapped her candy bar. 

She briefly skimmed over the ingredients before taking a bite. She handed the wrapper to Richie so he could have the other. Richie read the ingredients and his heart stopped when his eyes fell onto one word. His panic increased when he heard her swallow. 

Peanuts.

□□□□□□□□

{ Word Count: 1035 }

{A/n: Fun fact: Edited this in a dark bathroom because why not }

{ Edited: [ ✔ ] 8-24-19 }