Everything was perfect. Then it all changed within one fateful night. 

His phone buzzed in his pocket indicating he'd received a text message. Chuuya glanced toward the professor and once he had his back turned he quickly opened his phone to check the content.

From: Tachihara

Are you free after class?

Chuuya blinked. Once. Twice. That's unusual. Tachihara never texted him. Since they worked together at the student store, the rust-coloured male always said whatever he wanted to then, never before that. Even more peculiar was that he messaged him while in class, and when the bell would ring in less than a quarter. Now that got him curious. What was so important that the oh so well-behaved classmate of his couldn't wait for? 

Looking up from his second-hand flip phone –because that was the best thing he could afford at the time with his insufficient pay check– he glanced at the teacher who was droning about how they should hand in their assignments before Christmas break, and then at the person who sat at the front row near the window. Oddly enough, Tachihara was looking straight at him. Chuuya nodded in affirmation and the male turned back towards the teacher with a faint smile. His phone buzzed again, and Chuuya mentally groaned. Who is it now? 

From: Tachihara

Wait for me at the front gate, I have class duty today. 

Rolling his eyes he texted back; sure I'll wait for you there. 

*

A certain red haired male was leaning on one of the pillars of the school gates; foot impatiently tapping on the dirt, and thus creating small clouds of dust. He had been standing there for nearly half an hour, receiving odd looks from his fellow classmates and friends that knew he always left as soon as classes were over, since he had lots of club activities to attend to. Chuuya sighed for the umpteenth time that day. What was taking him so long? Had he forgotten about their meeting? "Fuck this, I'm going home," he grumbled. Just as he picked his bag off the ground so he could leave, a familiar voice stopped him. 

"Hey Chuuya-kun," Tachihara's strangled voice came from somewhere behind him."Wait!" Chuuya turned towards the running boy with a scowl on his face. "About damn time," he said, shoving his hands in his front pockets. "What were you doing?" he asked when Tachihara reached him, watching as the other bent over in fatigue, resting his hands on his knees. He then took a deep breath before opening his mouth again. "Sorry for taking so long. That stupid Gin misplaced her locker's keys again and made me help her find them." He had said that too quickly and all in one breath that it took Chuuya a while to register everything. Ah, so that's why he was late. 

Chuuya was well aware of the crush his friend had on the boyish girl – even though he wouldn't admit it, so of course he go out of his way to help her. Mood restored, he snickered at Tachihara's flustered expression. He was late so he might as well have some fun with it. "So did you finally have the balls to confess? Did you ask her out?" Tachihara's face turned beat red, and he started waving his hands frantically in front of his face. 

"W- whaaa —?! I-I told you I don't like her!" the rust-coloured yelled, eyes darting from left to right as though to make sure no one had heard him. Chuuya instantly burst into a fit of raucous laughter, and the poor guy smacked his arm lightly in embarrassment, glaring. He rubbed his wounded arm even though it didn't hurt and returned the favour. "Ow! You didn't have to hit me that hard you ass!" he whined, rubbing his arm. "You know you have the strength of a freaking body-builder sometimes." Tachihara pouted and stalked out of the campus into the half empty street with Chuuya following close behind. 

"Sorry, it wasn't on purpose." Chuuya smiled sheepishly as he scratched the back of his head. "I guess helping my sister around with the farm has some side effects." he continued chuckling and shifted his gaze from the road to his friend's face. " ...So, are you going to tell me where we're headed?" For a fraction of a second Tachihara seemed to stiffen in an almost nervous manner. "Huh?" he exclaimed, moving his bag to his other hand, between the two of them. "O-oh yeah!" he said and sheepishly rubbed the back of his head as a hint of pink dusted his cheeks "I totally forgot." 

"Well," he began just as the two stopped when the light for the pedestrians turned red. " There is this movie that came out recently called 'Dead Apple', and I really want to watch it." His fisted hands then pumped in the air as he continued on, "It looked so cool! Today is the premier and I had no one else I could ask so..." Chuuya sighed to himself."So you asked me," he completed his friend's sentence.

"Yeah," the other muttered, crossing the road once the light turned green again with Chuuya following close behind. Why was he not surprised at this? He shut his eyes in mild irritation. Hopefully the tickets wouldn't cost too much; he had paid the rent the other day and some other necessities so he was short on cash and Kouyou had told him she wouldn't be sending any more for the remainder of the week for fear of him spending them on anything other than what was necessary. It really wasn't fair for he wanted to go out with his friends more often, yet he understood her concern. He had to make her feel more at ease with his economic management if he ever wanted to be able to go out without worrying (too much) about the price. He felt very much capable at taking care of himself; he was an adult for fucks sake! 

"I can take care of myself," he said inaudibly, his hands clenching over the strap of his bag. "It should be easy enough." 

*