Part 2: Talks with Beth,Arrival of Lori.

Beginne am Anfang

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away.

    When we were done singing, I looked up at my big sister, and she wiped the tear away from my cheek, that I hadn't even known I shed. She even had a little bit of tears in her eyes. As, we both haven't heard or sung that song since Mama died. It was mama's favorite song to sing to me when she was alive. She once told me her and Beth sung it to me as a lullaby when I was a baby one time.

    "We'll be okay." Beth said to me," Even if mama ain't here no more. It'll be okay."

    I nod my head. Then I ask what I've been wondering since Maggie left.

    "Is Carl still okay?" I ask.

    "Yeah, but daddy still has ta get those other fragments out. He needed some special equipment. So Otis and Shane went to the high school to get it." She answers. I get confused at the name, Shane. I guess that's the name of the other man that arrived with Rick, Carl, and Otis.

    "Okay."

    "Ya wanna go back to the house now? Carl's sleeping he's fine now." She asks, and I nod my head.

    We stand up and leave the horse stables. We walk back to the house, and as we get close I see Daddy and Rick standing on the porch. Rick still in his bloody sheriffs uniform. I'll have to remember to bring him some clothes or get someone else to. Maybe Patricia is already workin' on it.

    We get to the porch, and walk up the steps I decide to stand by Daddy. Beth goes to her room. On her way into the door she grabbed my shoulder and gave it a soft squeeze, then went inside.

    I stayed outside with Dad and Rick. Dad looks down at me, and wraps his arm around me and gives me a side hug which I return.

    I look up at Rick. His eyes are red, and his face is blotchy from crying so much. I give him a small smile to try and cheer him up a little. And, he returns it,despite how worry stricken he is right now.

    I hear the sound of a horse. The three of us all look to the field, and see Maggie returning on our horse, with a woman who I'm assuming is Carl's mother; Lori on the back.

    Rick tears up a little again, and starts walking away from me and daddy. Down the porch steps to his wife.

    Lori jumps off the horse as soon as Maggie brings it to a halt. And, meets her husband half way bringing him into a hug.

  She starts pushing Rick to move towards the house.

    They walk in, and only I follow I guess daddy and Maggie stayed outside I don't know. Lori and Rick stop in the doorway to Carl's room. Her mouth drops at the sight of her son, and she starts to cry more.

    "I'm sorry." Rick whispers before kissing the top of her head.

    She leaves Rick at the door, and crawls onto the bed beside Carl. She strokes his face with both her hands, still crying. She lays down beside him looking at his face.

    "My boy... my baby boy." She says in tears," My baby boy."

     Rick has an expression of sadness, guilt, and pity as he walks up to Lori who is still staring at their son. I stand in the doorway.

    "Your okay, mama's here, mama's here. Your gonna be okay." She says to her unconscious son.

    I feel a pang of sadness in my heart when she said that. Why can't my mama be here too. My eyes start to fill with tears.

     "Your gonna be okay, I'm gonna make you okay." She says choking on her tears as she grabs Rick's hand. He's standing behind her.

     He takes a deep breath and kneels down. Sniffling and then shaking his head once then looking to the floor. I just watch the sad scene in front of me with tear filled eyes silently at the doorway. I don't even know if they know I'm here.

    Rick looks over at me just as one tear escapes my eye. He has an unreadable expression. He doesn't look angry at me for watching. He just seems sad and embarrassed that I had seen his family this way, I'm guessing.

     I run off away from the room, and to mine. I'm crying and I don't really know why.

    I'm mad cause I should've known that it wasn't my place to be there watching. It's not my family, it's theirs. But I was worried about Carl. Why should I be worried about him though. I don't even know him.

     I'm also crying cause I miss my mama. I know I shouldn't but I envy him cause he has his. I wish mama could come back.

    I wish everything could go back to the way things were. But, they never will. I lay on my bed and eventually cry myself to sleep.

    Sorry this chapter is a little sad. But it shows you how hard little Mackenzie's life is on her right now.
She was really close to her mom If you couldn't tell.
Comment, share, and vote pls.😜💕