IX

Chapter 9: Autopilot

☙⚘☘

I regret not eating. Vivi sighed to herself, watching the clock. It's nearly the end of her shift, and she wished more than anything for it to end so she could sink into her bed and sulk. She had a big plan to ignore Wolfie, but because they were working in different places and the fact that he was elusive, her plan was futile.

There's no satisfaction from playing games with him. She mused to herself.

Finally, the clock ticked, she stood up and walked herself to the lockers.

"I'll be leaving now, Sean!" She called. Sean answered something, which she didn't hear completely. She began changing before she was stopped by the sound of footsteps.

Her eyes met green and her hands instantly went to cover herself. They blinked at each other before it finally clicked in his head. He inhaled sharply, apologized, and walked away covering his eyes. After a moment of silence, she frantically finished changing.

I forgot he clocked out the same time! Sean! What were you thinking!

She grabbed her bag and ran out, cheeks tinted pink.

---

Sean found Carl later staring into a wall, looking disgruntled. He shook his employee and then shooed him off to the lockers. Carl stripped off his shirt, his mind blank.

The door slammed open. "My phone!" Vivi screamed and then she stiffened.

Once again, they had to make eye contact. Vivi flinched back, staring at him up and down before steeling herself and walking over to get her phone. She began fishing for it vigorously and Carl finished changing.

"I guess we're even." She huffed, finally locating her phone.

He sighed, getting his things, straightening his items in his locker. "Yes."

"Why did you snap at me during lunch?" She blurted out randomly.

"I didn't."

She met his gaze and glared. She marched up to him. "Yes, you did."

"Vivien." He muttered under his breath, a sign that she was getting under his skin. He did it a lot.

"Carl." She shot back, standing her ground.

He closed his locker, not bothering to look at her, and ambled to the door. She fumed, he was always acting all mature but when it came to Min he sure acted like a big dog. She ran after him, determined to annoy him. If giving him the cold shoulder wasn't going to chip at his stony exterior, she was going to hammer at it by being overbearing. He was going to snap one way or another.

"Why are you in a bad mood?" She complained. "You're infecting me."

He sighed, a degree more in annoyance.

Maybe she shouldn't continue, but the anticipation of his anger fueled on her provocation.

"Something wrong? Your love life? I tried to spice that up like a week ago and you were a big asshole."